Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
Diversity of people brings a diversity of thought, and that is core to driving Xero’s mission. Supporting a culture of inclusion is something we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. A part of that is to support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life, and your passions. So, from the moment you begin your journey with Xero, we will constantly strive to ensure you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
Data Platforms & Engineering @ Xero
As a Senior Data Engineer you will take a lead role in shaping the Xero Analytical Data Environment. In specialised streams, your responsibilities go beyond developing robust loading and transformation services, creating comprehensive reporting systems, and crafting engaging visualisations. As a senior member, you will also play a crucial role in mentoring and coaching junior team members, sharing your expertise, and fostering their professional growth. Additionally, you'll lead design sessions, contributing to the strategic vision of our data architecture.
- Harness the power of SQL for seamless data manipulation and querying.
- Craft cutting-edge data pipelines and automation using Python and/or other programming or scripting languages.
- Deploy and scale infrastructure effortlessly with Terraform's IaC approach.
- Drive real-time data insights with Kafka's streaming and event processing capabilities.
- Optimise analytics with Snowflake, a leading cloud-based data warehousing solution.
- Navigate AWS to deliver scalable and secure data solutions in a dynamic cloud environment.
- Implement data observability and active monitoring of the platforms to proactively identify and resolve issues.
- Support and maintain the systems we built.
Here is what we do look for in a Xero Engineer:
- Self-awareness and growth mindset
- Openness to learning from failure
- Honesty, transparency and encouraging of feedback
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Customer and product focus
- Commitment to supporting an inclusive culture and upholding Xero’s values
At Xero you will:
- Join an inclusive cross-functional team and collaborate with Product and Engineering.
- Use the latest engineering and software delivery practices, at scale.
- Support your growth with various training and development resources, including the opportunity to become AWS certified.
- Get involved with the Xero Mentorship Program, our many communities of practice and Employee Resource Groups such as Rainbow X, Parents @ Xero, Neurodiversity @ Xero and many more.
Lots of great perks, some of which include:
- 28 days of leave each year (annual leave, xtra leave, holiday leave), plus 10 days of Wellbeing leave and 1 day to volunteer in your community. You will also have the option to purchase up to 10 days of Lifestyle leave.
- 26 weeks parental leave payments, Xero 'top-ups' your base salary up to maximum of 100%. Available from your first day.
- Subsidised medical, life, income and trauma insurance for all permanent employees.
- Employee Share Plan - own a piece of Xero!
- Great culture and flexible work environment - hybrid and remote options with modern, ergonomic, sit to stand workstations, unwind at weekly Xero socials, fresh fruit, fizzy drinks, barista quality coffee, casual dress and more!
- Save those hard earned dollars by paying for selected items before tax through LeasePlan
- Check out all the employee benefits, discounts, and perks in one place with our Xero Crew app
Life @ Xero
As an engineer at Xero, you’ll be joining us on our mission to be one of the most sustainably excellent software engineering companies in the world! You’ll have exposure to a variety of complex challenges at a global scale, whether it’s linking payments to different global markets, working on our world-renowned third party ecosystem or delivering solutions to small businesses around the world.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset.
Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for this role and Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.
Please note that Xero's talent team will be on leave towards the end of December 2023 and into the new year. We will follow up on applications for this role as soon as possible upon our return in mid-January 2024. Happy holidays!