Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use cloud based platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and that is core to driving Xero’s mission. Supporting a culture of inclusion is something we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. A part of that is to support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. So, from the moment you begin your journey with Xero, we will constantly strive to ensure you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
About the role
Do you have a passion for building resilient, scalable, and highly available applications? If so, Platform Engineering is looking for experienced Intermediate and Senior Engineers to join the group.
Our teams are responsible for many of the critical applications and services that sit at the heart of the Xero product, and are used by teams across Xero to deliver customer value quickly and easily.
We own a wide range of services including authorisation, authentication, and the front end design system. We empower our teams to own their full stacks; from building and deploying on-demand, all the way through to ensuring we have excellent observability in production.
We pride ourselves on our efforts to always innovate and improve the way we work. This includes a focus on software performance, an emphasis on improving our customers’ ability to self-serve , along with making the process of delivering and supporting our services as seamless as possible.
How you’ll make an impact
You’ll work collaboratively in a delivery pod alongside other engineers and a Product Manager. Together you’ll solve hard problems in order to deliver quality, sustainable software, using engineering best practices. Your work will reduce toil, improve the development experience, and promote rapid release cycles.
Some of what you'll do in your team:
- Write #beautiful code (solo, pairing or mobbing)
- Participate in code reviews; providing feedback and teaching others
- Continuously deliver value to our customers
- Contribute technical solutions and ideas to the team backlog
- Measure and monitor your products’ performance
- Use performance data to inform sustainability improvements
- Identify and promote opportunities to improve practices
- Always keep learning, and upskilling those around you
- Back your opinions while considering the opinion of others
- Give and receive feedback candidly
- Grow your career, supported by coaching from a dedicated People Lead
Skills we like;
- Modern languages and frameworks (C# .NET, Golang, TypeScript)
- AWS or other public cloud provider experience
- Configuring CI/CD pipelines (Jenkins, TeamCity, AWS CodeDeploy, etc)
- Managing immutable infrastructure using infrastructure as code
- Working with relational databases
- Familiarity with testing practices, such as TDD or BDD
- Production support using monitoring and observability tools
- A focus on release safety using canary deployments or feature flags
We also have opportunities involving specialising in Golang, Open ID Connect or IdentityServer.
We’d love to talk to you if you like what you’ve read so far, and have some of the technical skills above. You don’t need to know everything; we’ll teach you the rest.
Why you should become a Xero
Xero is continuing to grow and so are the opportunities to join us!
You can choose to perform this role:
- In one of our #beautiful offices in Wellington or Auckland
- Flexibly, through a hybrid of in office and remote working styles
- Permanently Remote
As a permanent remote worker at Xero we want to ensure you are getting the same #beautiful employee experience as our in-office Xero’s. Permanent remote Xero’s will benefit from a virtual ergonomic work assessment and funding to assist with the improvement of your at home work setup. Xero will also fund up to 4 trips a year to your most relevant region Xero office. You are part of our #team and we want to see you thrive!
It’s a diverse and inclusive environment, with people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to do the best work of your life. We’re a place where innovation and change are not only encouraged but also celebrated. We value our people and want them to enjoy and take pride in their work.
We’re very supportive of flexible working arrangements and offer a competitive remuneration package including shares and life insurance, in addition to your base salary. We have a culture we’re proud of. Whether you're after a workplace with a social vibe, or a workplace which understands your family is priority - Xero is all of that and more.
At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset. Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for a role at Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.