We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
In our cars, you’re free to be yourself. It’s the same here at Cruise. We’re creating a culture that values the experiences and contributions of all of the unique individuals who collectively make up Cruise, so that every employee can do their best work.
Cruise is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, both in our workplace and in our products. If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, come join us. Even if you might not meet every requirement, we strongly encourage you to apply. You might just be the right candidate for us.
The Embedded Systems team develops the first layers of software on the Cruise Autonomous Vehicles from working with hardware to moving large amounts of data up the software stack. Within this, the Sensing System Software team develops the environmental sensing solutions on multiple vehicle platforms. Staff Software Engineers are expert professionals identifying and pursuing new paths of inquiry at Cruise. As Cruise’s business continues to scale rapidly, building a stable, scalable, flexible, cost-efficient, and reliable foundation is critical. This role will specifically work on the multi-sensor system services and frameworks in collaboration with our partner teams across Cruise.
What you'll be doing:
- Collaborate with hardware, systems engineering, program management, product management and peer software teams to develop critical reliability software features for the autonomous vehicle. Includes: developing and debugging of application and middleware software for existing and next generation sensing data pipelines on the vehicle
- Root-cause analysis of complex problems involving multiple cross-functional partners, including hardware and software
- Identify reliability issue trends, provide clear guidance on reliability requirements, develop reliability design guidelines, and apply lessons learned to enable continuous improvement
- Design and implement shared infrastructure and tooling among the Sensing System Software teams to monitor and analyze embedded software and data quality metrics. Identify opportunities to unify approaches, improve reliability and increase developer velocity
- Own the development quality and ensure the solutions are scalable, secure, and optimized for customer experience and performance. Raise the bar on engineering excellence by producing best-in-class code, documentation, testing, and monitoring.
- Partner with cross-functional teams to architect and implement embedded software observability and monitoring solutions
- Work with the engineering teams to architect and build services to simplify troubleshooting and operational response to incidents and Autonomous Vehicles fleet outages
- Own technical projects, participate in design reviews and provide input for the reliability section of others design reviews
- Ensure efficiency of the vehicle change process involving embedded software changes and dependencies
- Participate in on-call rotation
- High focus on collecting and inferring metric documentation to be used by others to build and maintain systems
- Contribute to the roadmap and software planning activities within the team, helping drive the vision of how the team should evolve
- Guide and mentor developers on the team
What you must have:
- Proven experience writing production software to improve data quality and reliability of safety critical systems
- Proficiency with C++11 or later
- Proficiency in debugging and troubleshooting firmware-related issues
- Experience driving complex embedded software projects through the full lifecycle of product development
- Experience architecting and delivering Embedded Systems solutions that support multiple generations of the product
- Experience engaging in communication at senior management levels and influencing technical strategies
- Experience applying and mentoring team members on software development best practices
- Clear and concise written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with safety-critical development (FDA, FAA, Automotive)
- Familiarity with reliability engineering principles (FMEA, FTA, and other reliability assessment techniques)
- Experience with different types of sensors and environmental sensing systems
- Knowledge of embedded software testing methodologies and tools as well as quality assurance processes and methodologies
- Experience developing on and for Embedded Linux / POSIX systems
- Experience with ROS or other robotics middleware platforms
- Experience with other languages: C, Python, Bash, Go
- Experience with embedded build systems, such as buildroot or Yocto
- Experience with QNX, VxWorks, or similar
The salary range for this position is $170.000 - $250,000. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. You may also be offered a bonus, restricted stock units, and benefits. These ranges are subject to change.
Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks available for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care, and medical leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Flexible Spending Account
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- CruiseFlex, a working policy for US-Based Cruisers, lets you and your manager find the working style that’s best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home, or a combination of home and in-office time. - learn more about CruiseFlex here
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price, and Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow. We offer a new kind of equity program called Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO), which combines IPO-like liquidity with the stability of remaining private - learn more about RLO here
We’re Safety Conscious
- We integrate #staysafe, our top priority at Cruise, into our everyday work. Through our Safety Management System, every Cruiser is asked to do their part by reporting any potential issues or hazards they observe and making continuous improvements. You’ll be able to contribute to safety at Cruise, no matter your job function or title.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives. We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, caste, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email [email protected].
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Candidates applying for roles that operate and remotely operate the AV: Licensed to drive a motor vehicle in the U.S. for the three years immediately preceding your application, currently holding an active in-state regular driver’s license or equivalent, and no more than one point on driving record. A successful completion of a background check, drug screen and DMV Motor Vehicle Record check is also required.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.