PagerDuty is seeking a Senior Security Engineer (AWS, IAM) to join our diverse, customer-focused team! As a Senior Security Engineer, you will be a key contributor to leading security initiatives around foundational infrastructure supporting the PagerDuty SaaS offerings through architecture reviews, threat modeling sessions, and designing security tool implementations supporting PagerDuty’s security mission. Since we own and operate what we build, you’ll collaborate closely with engineers across many teams. You will work closely with our internal development teams to ensure we deliver secure, highly reliable, and scalable solutions to our customers. This is an exciting opportunity to build lovable security solutions that make developers and customers happy. The ideal candidate will come from a large enterprise environment focused on IAM strategy for product and infrastructure security. Things that make you smile: Secure Infrastructure, systems, automation, analysis, coding, and cute animal memes.
- Act as technical team lead by providing mentorship designing and scoping implementation of security projects and guiding team members to ensure implementation is completed. Work closely with Product Engineering teams to review service designs (full stack) and provide security-focused recommendations to address potential threats or insecure designs. Provide oversight and mentorship to the Corporate Security team to ensure alignment with CISO mandates.
- Mentor and help guide team members to ensure product and business objectives are considered for project implementations.
- Work with loosely defined requirements where you exercise your analytical skills to clarify questions, share your approach, and collaborate with the rest of the team to build/test elegant solutions.
- Participate in our team’s on-call rotation, triaging and addressing security issues as they arise.
- Enable service team security implementations by building security-as-code constructs into infrastructure-as-code (IaC) modules, maintaining hardened configurations in platform components (container images, kubernetes deployments, etc.), and maintaining developer focused documentation to ensure low effort adoption.
- Continually improve infrastructure security implementations with consideration for IAM, Network Access, and Security Alerting supporting kubernetes and AWS infrastructure with services operating modern-day a microservice architecture.
- 5+ years of experience as a full-stack Security Engineer in a cloud-native, micro-service SaaS, PaaS, or IaaS environment.
- Strong understanding of AWS IAM best practices, and demonstrated experience in implementing a strong and scalable IAM strategy.
- Must have current AWS and Kubernetes (EKS) experience.
- Technical stack experience required to be successful in this role:
- AWS Security (GuardDuty, CloudTrail, Secrets Manager, EKS/ECR, IAM family, Config), Vulnerability management (Qualys/Nessus, Twistlock, Snyk), SIEM (SumoLogic or Splunk), Container Security, CI/CD Discipline (Helm, Terraform, Chef, Kubernetes (EKS)), Security Incident Response & Risk Management.
- Proficiency in at least one programming language and framework (e.g. Ruby on Rails, Python, Phoenix/Elixir, Java).
- Familiarity with Threat Modeling principles.
- Current or past experience with obtaining and maintaining FedRAMP authorization.
- Experience working at a SaaS company larger than 1000 employees and 100M in revenue.
- Ability to think through a complex problem, build a solution, and execute that solution with effective change management skills.
- Possesses a strong sense of ownership and a keen discernment for excellence in security systems within a SaaS environment, demonstrating the ability to distinguish what constitutes a truly robust and effective safeguarding infrastructure.
- Ability to design, monitor, and operate security logging and alerting toolsets.
- Demonstrated history of mentoring and coaching.
- Familiarity with Corporate security needs and solutions.
The base salary range for this position is 176,000 - 277,000 USD. This role may also be eligible for bonus, commission, equity, and/or benefits.
Our base salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range, which is subject to change based on primary work location, reflects the minimum and maximum base salary we expect to pay newly hired employees for the position. Within the range, we determine pay for an individual based on a number of factors including market location, job-related knowledge, skills/competencies and experience.
Your recruiter can share more about the specific offerings for this role, as well as the salary range for your primary work location during the hiring process.
Not sure if you qualify?
Apply anyway! We extend opportunities to a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you're new to the corporate world, returning to work after a gap in employment, or simply looking to take the next step in your career path, we are excited to connect with you.
Where we work
PagerDuty currently has offices in Atlanta, Lisbon, London, San Francisco, Santiago, Sydney, Tokyo, and Toronto. We offer a hybrid, flexible workplace, with many Dutonians choosing to work primarily from home. We also provide ample opportunities for in-person and virtual connection, like team offsites and volunteering events.
How we work
Our values are deeply embedded in how we operate and the people we bring on board. You will see our values ingrained in how we support our customers, collaborate with our colleagues, develop our products and foster an inclusive and empathetic work culture.
- Champion the Customer | Put users first to design great products and experiences.
- Run Together | Build strong teams that amplify our impact on users.
- Take the Lead | Disrupt and invent to be the first choice for users.
- Ack + Own | Take ownership and action to deliver more efficiently to users.
- Bring Your Self | Bring your best self to build empathy and trust with users.
What we offer
One way we ensure our employees are inspired to do their best is through a comprehensive total rewards approach that supports them and their loved ones. As a global organization, our programs are competitive with industry standards and aligned with local laws and regulations.
Your package may include:
- Competitive salary and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package from day one
- Flexible work arrangements
- ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Program)
- Retirement or pension plan
- Paid parental leave - up to 22 weeks for pregnant parent, up to 12 weeks for non-pregnant parent (some countries have longer leave standards and we comply with local laws)
- Generous paid vacation time
- Paid holidays and sick leave
- Dutonian Wellness Days - scheduled company-wide paid days off in addition to PTO
- HibernationDuty - an annual company paid week off when everyone at PagerDuty, with the exception of a small, coverage crew, is asked to take a much needed break to truly disconnect and recharge
- Paid volunteer time off - 20 hours per year
- Company-wide hack weeks
- Mental wellness programs
PagerDuty, Inc. (NYSE:PD) is a global leader in digital operations management. The PagerDuty Operations Cloud revolutionizes how critical work gets done, and powers the agility that drives digital transformation. Customers rely on the PagerDuty Operations Cloud to compress costs, accelerate productivity, win revenue, sustain seamless digital experiences, and earn customer trust. More than half of the Fortune 500 and more than two thirds of the Fortune 100 trust PagerDuty including Cisco, Cox Automotive, DoorDash, Electronic Arts, Genentech, Shopify, Zoom and more.
Led by CEO Jennifer Tejada, two-thirds of the PagerDuty board is classified as non-white, with women making up nearly half of all board members. We strive to build a more equitable world by investing 1% each of company equity, product, and employee volunteer time.
PagerDuty is Great Place to Work-certified™, a Fortune Best Place to Work for Women, and a top rated product on TrustRadius and G2.
Go behind-the-scenes @pagerduty on Instagram.
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Should you require accommodation, please email [email protected] and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.