Do you relish working closely with other engineers to amplify their work and their impact? We are looking for motivated, empathic, collaborative folks to help pioneer a team to help Smart’s 300+ engineering department deliver with more speed, quality and joy.
This position might be for you If you like measuring impact, automating solution, troubleshooting, deep dives on optimization, collecting feedback, researching users and designing systems to evolve and adapt.
- working with development teams and successfully supporting their needs.
- infrastructure as code and technologies in our infrastructure stack (or analogs): AWS, Github Actions, Kubernetes & Helm, Docker, Terraform.
- developing in a dynamic language and creating support tooling for SDLC in said language.
- setting up, maintaining and evolving CI/CD for a development effort.
- using data to identify and solve problems, helping others to implement effective observability to do the same.
- A desire to learn, grow, work with an amazing team and deliver solutions
- Strong communication skills and demonstrable background in getting things done
- Significant commercial experience with front-end, back-end, mobile or infrastructure development.
- Enjoy helping your team improve and become better Engineers and humans
- Previous experience working at a scale-up FinTech
- Previous experience in leading a team is useful
- Collaborate with SRE, internal service and infrastructure teams to design and improve systems supporting and enabling continuous delivery, service ownership, and developer self service.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to design and deploy automation to eliminate toil across engineering.
- Help design, document and support standards promoting interoperability and quality across engineering organization.
- Listen to engineers and identify opportunities for improvement. Collect and analyze data to prioritize efforts for work.
- Light oncall and support for
- Belong and contribute to an agile team with a mission!
Engineering at Smart
At Smart, we build working software that always works - and we do it fast! We’ve managed to thread the needle between speed and reliability, with double digit daily deploys into production and an exceptionally low rate of failure. Smart is disrupting an industry that has been particularly slow to adopt new technology. As a tech company (in culture, tools, and people) that does pensions, we’re uniquely positioned to shake things up!
We have the benefit of having adopted many engineering best practices from day 1. Our approach to code is simple: keep it small, clean, and ensure it has thorough test coverage. We don't ship code just to hit a deadline. Pensions are a long game. We're handling peoples retirement income, so the stability, security and accuracy of our platform is everything. But we also recognise that being able to deliver change and innovation at pace are our secret sauce!
Some interesting notes on the way we work:
- We built Smart on a monolith and we are shifting to a modular, Domain Driven approach to scale.
- We operate in 4 different countries at this time and plan to establish Smart in many more.
- [ Something interesting to security people ]
- We use AWS as our cloud provider, Github as our SCM and CI system, Datadog for monitoring. We use containers to deliver our applications.
- We are migrating from Heroku to EKS for our application platform and from AWS Codepipeline to Github Actions for our delivery pipelines.
- We work hard to maintain at least 96% test coverage of our application through collaboration and strong code review practices.
- We ship software continuously, releasing new features to production up to 30 times a day.
- We follow Agile practices and are developing a strengthening DevOps culture.
- We take career progression and personal development seriously, and offer ample opportunities for both.
- We value in diversity and inclusion, and it’s reflected in both our team shape and in how we spend our time. Over 80% of our Engineering team recently volunteered their time to be coaches at the recent Rails Girls London event – a free workshop aimed at making technology more approachable for women.
- We empower our engineers to propose new ideas. For instance, we run regular hackathons, and many of these ideas wind up being implemented and put into production!
We're a diverse team at Smart, made up of people with backgrounds, experiences and skills. Our goal is to build great products to help people plan for their financial futures. We’re constantly developing new ideas to help people look after their pension schemes around the world. We’ve grown to a team of over 500 talented people, all dedicated to creating the best experience for our customers. If you think you can help us build a smarter future, come and work with us.
Smart Pension is committed to crafting an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or age.
Our Recruitment Data Policy is here. Please click on the link if you have any questions about how we store your data or to know your rights.
- £500 personal training budget to spend on books, courses, conferences or training materials to help you develop.
- Health Insurance (via EquipsMe) including Dental, Eyecare and Employee Assistance Program.
- Death in Service via Unum (4 x Base Salary).
- Season ticket loans.
- 5 week sabbatical after 5 years.
- 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays. 1 extra day holiday after 2 years and then every year up to a max of 30 days holiday.
- Enhanced maternity and paternity (maternity - 6 months fully paid / paternity - 3 weeks fully paid).
- Access to PerkBox.
- Access to Smart Rewards.
- Pension scheme via salary sacrifice. Smart will match your contributions up to 5% of your salary.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Smart employees also enjoy a 50% discount on orders from our sister company Arena Flowers, Britain's most ethical florist. They offer unique hand-tied bouquets, luxury flowers, letterbox flowers, plants and gifts to spend on friends and loved ones or even for yourself.