Zoox is on an ambitious journey to develop a full-stack autonomous mobility solution for cities and safely deploy such a robotaxi solution. Zoox’s System Design and Mission Assurance (SDMA) team is responsible for constructing the safety case and validating that our vehicles are safe enough to be deployed for autonomous driving. We play a foundational role for the success of the company. As Zoox prepares to launch our technology on public roads, we are seeking an experienced systems engineer with a strong software development background to manage safety analysis of off-vehicle software and incorporate this with Systems Safety Operations & Service to ensure safe deployment and operations of Zoox technology.
- Proactively identify potential safety hazards in Zoox’s off-vehicle software through structured predictive safety analysis and review of operational tool ecosystem
- Lead the off-vehicle software safety verification and validation workstream for each Zoox milestone
- Review software architectures and interfaces for operations & service
- Work with cross functional teams (backend/frontend developers, API engineers, Ops tool PMs) to support the implementation and test of systems safety requirements within the operational tool ecosystem
- Work with software teams to support and review the processes for safety critical software updates/deployment (remotely, OTA, or in person)
- Be the point of contact for SDMA for safety critical off-vehicle software issues. Triage the issue and lead/support the issue resolution process. Be available to support onsite issue investigation and resolution with short notice.
- Be a part of the rotational on-call engineering team during milestone launch and operations
- B.S. or higher degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience in a relevant engineering field
- Have minimally 5 years of experience in deploying and managing complex field operations in relevant domains
- Proficient in Python, C++, and/or Java
- Solid understanding of software architecture principles and design patterns
- Experience distributed systems, telemetry, or cloud platforms
- Systems engineering and/or system safety training
- Possesses excellent EQ with an empathetic communication style that fosters connection, collaboration and motivation
- Have senior leadership experience (5+ years) in developing and deploying complex operational tools/features in relevant domains
- Experience with networking, routing, or application-layer protocols like gRPC or DDS
- Working experience in automotive industry or the autonomous driving technology industry
- Working level experience with safety critical systems
- Familiarity with formal safety analysis (STPA, FTA, etc)
- Experience in developing operational tools/features
- Experience with release management process
- Working experience with front-end development for operational tools
- Experience in designing modular, scalable, and maintainable software architectures that can handle complex operational tasks and integration
- Track-record in managing complex cross-functional projects
- Familiarity with industry safety standards such as MIL-STD-882, ISO 26262, ISO 21448, etc.
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $131,000 to $215,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.