About the job
At Scaleway, we provide a large scope of products to our customers. From dedicated servers to virtual and bare metal cloud servers, storage solutions and many other products, the Hardware Engineering department is at the heart of the Scaleway infrastructure, offering over 100000 servers from our own datacenters to our customers and internal teams.
The Hardware Engineering department is responsible for most of the hardware activities of the company; from qualification to prototyping and rack level design, from tool development to hardware support.
The Systems Development team is responsible for developing the in-house tools that will be used during the qualification phases, for quality checks and to run pre-production configuration and setup activities. The team’s mission is to develop the best-in-class tools in order to automate deployments, improve overall quality and optimize the hardware assets cost-effectiveness. To build software that increases operational performance.
As for our software, the whole stack runs on Python, we expect you to have at least basic knowledge of functions, classes, and OOP.
You will work with people directly at our datacenters, with our support teams, and with our product teams to find ways to optimize deployment workflow, improve data gathering and DCIM integration, and to provide software solutions for pre-production machines.
The main takeaway can be: no method or implementation is off-limits as long as your design brings us closer to our objectives.
Because the tasks are varied and our team small, we rely on mutual assistance. As such we do not expect you to be an expert in all fields. What we need however is someone highly motivated and ready to take on new challenges and explore different ways of doing things.
- You have interests in cloud computing, hosting, hardware or datacenters
- Self-motivated with strong organizational skills
- Experience with Object Oriented programming Autonomous, real ownership spirit
- Good command in English
- Team worker, thorough, fast learner
- Experience with SQL database (PostgreSQL, MySQL...)
- Experience with Rest API
- Experience in automation (Gitlab CI/CD, Ansible...)
- Knowledge of different network protocols such as DHCP, PXE and VLANs
- Experience working with industry-grade hardware (such as servers with BMC)
- Our team’s responsibility in the deployment structure is to provide a solid foundation for the many different technologies and interfaces our product teams may deploy. You will be a swiss army knife, performing many other functions, the job ranges from disk SMART analysis to dockerized API solutions, qualification and automation, and may even sometimes include website development to provide frontends for your internal tooling.
- In this position: you will be architect, developer, and maintainer of a wide range of software and utilities, have to work with and use any amount of hardware and technology Scaleway may have accumulated over the years, and ensure your responsibilities towards our operations team remain a top priority.
- Being at the center of a twenty-year-old cloud and baremetal provider you will: work with and accommodate a large variety of hardware, learn of different manufacturers’ specificities and quirks, juggle with the management of a wide array of components, and use many different Open Source utilities to achieve your goals.
- What makes the job great is you will never get bored, you may spend the day coding, or spend it researching new ways to optimize our workflow, other times it’ll be finding new ways of hoarding data and using it. Beware, your work will be interrupted, at times often, as the support to internal users is considered as a priority, and may take up a fair amount of your time.
This role can be fulfilled:
- In our offices in Paris or Lille, France
- Hybrid or full-remote in France
- Full-remote in Europe
We treat every candidate equally in our recruitment process. Even if you don't meet 100% of the job’s requirements, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you would be a good fit!
Questions about this job? Nathalie Tourbay, our Recruitment Team Lead, would be happy to answer your questions.
👉Scaleway is a #singular place and we’re looking for #singular people. If you like what you see here and you’ve got a story to tell, we’d love to hear from you.
Founded in 1999, Scaleway, the cloud of choice, helps developers and businesses to build, deploy and scale applications to any infrastructure.
Located in Paris, Amsterdam and Warsaw, Scaleway’s complete cloud ecosystem is used by 25,000+ businesses, including European startups, who choose Scaleway for its multi-AZ redundancy, smooth developer experience, carbon-neutral data centers and native tools for managing multi-cloud architectures.
With fully managed offerings for bare metal, containerization and serverless architectures, Scaleway brings choice to the world of cloud computing, offering customers the ability to choose where their customer’s data resides, to choose what architecture works best for their business, and to choose a more responsible way to scale.
We are committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, disability, age, or veteran status.