The engineering team that owns the Apollo Studio Sandbox, Apollo Studio Explorer, Apollo Studio Schema Reference, Apollo Client Devtools, Apollo VS Code Extension, and other developer tools are looking for a principal engineer. This team is one of the fastest-shipping engineering teams at Apollo. Their recent projects include building an Operation Collections feature into Apollo Studio
and making the Explorer and Sandbox embeddable on any website
, not just Studio. They work primarily in our frontend React/TypeScript codebase and with our backend Node and Kotlin services. They’ve also recently been contributing to our Rust CLI.
This is a unique team whose focus is on building devtools to help people adopt GraphQL and the Apollo platform as a whole. As a principal engineer, you will be a force multiplier on the team. You will help current team members strengthen and harden their own work, while working with leadership to connect the team’s work to the company’s priorities.
What you’ll do
- Work on highly complex problems, and bring other team members along with you.
- Work with EM and PM to determine the roadmap for the team, based on the company priorities and what you know the team can accomplish. Partner with management to present a unified voice on priorities and strategy to the department.
- Guide the team in their technical work spanning React, GraphQL, TypeScript, Kotlin, and Postgres while helping each team member up-level their own technical leadership and critical thinking skills.
- Use new Apollo prototypes before anyone else and help us hone our “developers building for developers” experiences.
- Build relationships with engineers and managers across other teams, especially those who are relevant stakeholders to this team. Contribute to our culture of cross-team collaboration on company architecture, patterns, and governance of technical decisions made by individual teams.
- Foster a culture of delivering praise and constructive feedback within the team.
Who you are
- You’ve been building applications for the web for at least 10 years, have mentored other engineers, and are considered a technical leader among your peer group.
- You know yourself and where your passions lie, be them in frontend platform, devtools, system design, cloud ops, pixel-perfect UI, or somewhere in between.
- You’re excited about GraphQL and modern developer tooling, and are interested in helping push the industry forward.
- You are comfortable working across the stack and enjoy the breadth of work that comes from contributing to frontend code to thinking about systems design.
- You’re excited to bring your own creativity and vision to the problems Apollo is solving for the developer community.
- The idea of sharing your work broadly, both internally and externally, is exciting to you.
- You’re looking forward to working with a distributed team.
- You like learning and proactively keep up with new developer trends through reading books, watching videos, taking classes, or something similar.
- You show humility and care in how you work with others. You are willing to admit your own faults and concede to better ideas when they present themselves, no matter who they come from.
This position can be done from anywhere in the US and North American time zones.
Apollo is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a talented and diverse workforce.