We’re helping organizations deploy GraphQL routing infrastructure at scale using Apollo Federation. Are you passionate about systems engineering and understand what it takes to build and operate memory-safe, resource-considerate, high-performance backend APIs in a distributed environment in Rust? If so, we’d love to talk to you about joining us in building next-generation GraphQL infrastructure.
With more and more GraphQL APIs being deployed by product teams in organizations, routing to distributed graphs with minimal latency is key to operating them at scale. In this role, you’ll have a critical impact in architecting and building infrastructure that graph operators with demanding workloads can deploy confidently into their production environments.
We have tier-1 backing from Andreessen Horowitz and Matrix Partners and our technology is used in production by some of today's largest and most innovative companies, including Airbnb, Netflix, Expedia, Peloton, DoorDash, The New York Times, Zillow and many more.
What you'll do
- Write and deliver fault-tolerant infrastructure code in Rust and read code written in other languages, like TypeScript and Java.
- Lead, mentor and guide other engineers in architecting and writing code in idiomatic Rust.
- Consult in architectural discussions that consider how to best operate and observe graph routing software in customer’s infrastructure stacks.
- Communicate your ideas and designs clearly and up front, aligning with technical Product Managers on their designs and documenting them for end users.
- Collaborate with other engineers across the organization and within our open source community using supportive communication and constructive code-reviews.
Who you are
- You understand operational expectations for running API infrastructure, including deployment strategies, optimization techniques, extensibility and observability needs and performance characteristics. It's a plus if you have a strong understanding of GraphQL.
- You are knowledgeable in cloud and systems technologies, including both the architectural principles and the specific tools of the trade along with their strengths and weaknesses. In particular, Kubernetes knowledge is a plus.
- Collaborating, mentoring and empowering others to do their best work is core to how you work.
- You enjoy reviewing code, getting your code reviewed and seek feedback from your team early and often.
- You're pragmatic and you know how to make tradeoffs between different designs in the pursuit of urgency. You optimize for overall business goals, not just immediate technical results.
- You deliver. Shipping working software and seeing it in the hands of end users brings you great satisfaction.
We don’t expect anyone to meet 100% of these qualifications so we hope you’ll consider applying if this position sounds exciting to you!
This position can be done from anywhere within eastern US or European time zones.
Apollo is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a talented and diverse workforce.