Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use cloud based platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and that is core to driving Xero’s mission. Supporting a culture of inclusion is something we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. A part of that is to support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. So, from the moment you begin your journey with Xero, we will constantly strive to ensure you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
Please note this role can only be remote within Ontario, British Colombia or Alberta.
How you’ll make an impact
You'll help build and manage software that solves engineering problems at scale. You’ll work in collaboration with other Xeros to help create and deliver beautiful software to our customers, faster.
You’ll undertake software application development on applications in our existing suite of products (including new ones), contributing to new or improved experiences for our customers, internal and external.
You’ll help maintain the standard for engineering excellence at Xero and support your team members in building products together. You’ll demonstrate leadership on best practices, and be a role model and mentor for other team members. You’ll contribute to our cross functional environment by working towards the same objectives, using modern principles and practices.
You’ll be enabled to seek clarity with technical complexities and be able to demonstrate smart ways to automate. You’ll be able to make data-driven decisions that will release value early to solve Xero customers' problems more effectively.
What you'll do
- Create software - Care deeply about customer problems and technical excellence, develop high quality and scalable software, and coach others to do the same. Relentlessly automate any manual processes. Contribute to technical solution designs that embrace a quality-first approach. Participate in code reviews as a role model for giving and receiving feedback.
- Test software - Design and perform sophisticated testing activities that effectively and efficiently reveal product quality across a range of risk areas and quality criteria. Coach team members to enable high quality testing in line with Xero’s quality strategy and standards.
- Resolve issues - Efficiently assess the causes and identify solutions for development or production issues, and effectively communicate the impact to stakeholders. Recognize common patterns of failure to mitigate issues before they reach production. Proactively participate in incident responses and contribute to post-mortems.
- Engineering standards & frameworks - Contribute to Xero's engineering standards and frameworks. Work closely with the Lead and Principal Engineers to apply standards to software and delivery processes.
- Continuous improvement - Proactively maintain, grow and share knowledge of development technologies used in the development of Xero’s software applications.
- Deliver infrastructure in a production environment - Champion automation of delivery processes. Coach and support engineers to ensure all software is running as expected and proactively works to prevent customer facing problems.
- Modern software and delivery practices - Be a proactive champion of agile and delivery practices who coaches and develops others in this space in order to ensure a consistent approach to ways of working.
- Recruitment - Participate in interviews and recruitment processes.
- Must be an expert with React
- Performance optimization techniques
- Leadership experience and being a mentor in past roles
- SASS, CSS and HTML and an understanding of CSS modules or CSS in JS
- Familiar with continuous integration and automated deployment systems
- Demonstrated technical leadership in a web application development team
- An understanding of Agile methods and concepts
Great if you have experience with
- Cloud platform experience (Google cloud, Azure, AWS)
- UX Design and user testing
- Server-side development experience
- Building and monitoring scalable platforms
- Working with newer technologies/concepts like Typescript, PWAs & infrastructure as code
- Strong plus to have experience working with PHP or backend engineers who are utilizing PHP
- Strong plus to have experience working with Laravel framework
At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset. Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for a role at Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.