Design and build the future of Apollo’s cloud services on a rapidly-growing team to support major world-wide customers, including NerdWallet, PayPal, and Expedia to name a few. Join a data-driven team in creating the future of observability, control, and collaboration across a distributed GraphQL API.
You’ll be working with a tight-knit and rapidly-growing product engineering group to build a greenfield part of Apollo Studio
. As an engineer on the team, you’ll work closely with our PM and others to translate product ideas into well-crafted data models, clear service boundaries, and rich user experiences. We care deeply about creating high-quality product with well-designed user experiences, and we have an equally deep appreciation for the excellent engineering foundations that make such product development possible. You’ll own the maintenance and reliability of the services you bring to life, and you’ll use your own product additions every day in the work you do.
Your reach will span our cloud services, our open-source CLI, and integrations into tools like Datadog, Slack, and Pagerduty. You’ll be using modern tools for cloud infrastructure, like Kubernetes, Kotlin, TypeScript, PostgreSQL, GraphQL (of course), and Kafka. Join us to help build the next generation of developer tools and push the boundaries of how people develop software.
What you’ll do
- Shape our cloud infrastructure for our users, its service architecture, and help leverage areas of strength while shoring up weaknesses to allow Apollo to grow as the most trusted GraphQL leader.
- Nurture our cloud installation, seeing it scale well beyond its current scope. You’ll have the opportunity to solve some of the more gnarly problems companies see when users, traffic, and employees increase by orders of magnitude
- Work together with a group of reliable, and empathetic people. You’ll be a mentor and be able to grow alongside your teammates.
Who you are
- You enjoy pairing technical solutions with the right level of effort. You have experience at a variety of different scales, both in terms of data throughput and codebase collaborators
- Can build systems for worldwide scale from the ground up and comfortable with ambiguity.
- You have a solid knowledge of different testing patterns and software development practices. You know the pros and cons of unit tests and test driven development vs generative tests and “testing in production”.
- You treat code as a craft. You have a bias for deprecation over refactor, and refactor over rebuild, but you’re not against rebuilding when appropriate (in our opinion, the best kind of refactor is the delete key). You aren’t attached to the code you write, and appreciate understandable simple code.
- You’re data driven. You rely on the insights we have at our disposal to make informed system-level decisions, test hypotheses, and feed into prioritization. Additionally, when we’re missing a data point, you work to get the necessary tools
- A big plus: you're excited about working with GraphQL and influencing its technical future. You're excited to work at a devtools company where the tools you're building will actually improve your own workflow.
Apollo is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a talented and diverse workforce.