Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
NB: This role is a backfill role and not a new role
About the team
We are responsible for building and maintaining Xero’s authentication platform, which is critical to keeping Xero secure, available, and able to scale to millions of customers worldwide. Our teams own their entire stack; our typical work is a mix of software engineering, solution design, managing AWS resources whilst focusing on operational excellence.
We have roles available in an established team and we’re also building a new team to work on a new initiative directly related to Xero's key strategic objectives.
We pride ourselves on our efforts to always innovate and improve the way we work. This includes an emphasis on software performance, stability and scalability, as well as making the process of delivering and supporting our code as frictionless as possible.
Engineering @ Xero
We believe that a solid technical foundation and strong growth mindset are the keys to success in Software Engineering. So you won’t find a long list of must-have tech requirements below.
While you don’t have to have worked with our tech stack previously, what is important is that you have relevant experience that will help you get started quickly, and you are happy to learn as you go.
Life @ Xero
As an engineer at Xero, you’ll be joining us on our mission to be one of the most sustainably excellent software engineering companies in the world! You’ll have exposure to a variety of complex challenges at a global scale, whether it’s linking payments to different global markets, working on our world-renowned third party ecosystem or delivering solutions to small businesses around the world.
Generally, if a team is creating a new code base, it may look like the following:
- A microservice, written in C# on .NET or a Node.js microservice written in Typescript
- Utilising a variety of AWS services
- Running in a Docker container, orchestrated by Kubernetes
- Accessed by SPA written in React with TypeScript
- Deployed with an automated CI/CD pipeline
- Monitored by industry leading monitoring, alerting, tracing, and logging tools
Here is what we do look for in a Xero Engineer:
- Self-awareness and growth mindset
- Openness to learning from failure
- Honesty, transparency and encouraging of feedback
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Customer and product focus
- Commitment to supporting an inclusive culture and upholding Xero’s values
At Xero you will:
- Join an inclusive cross-functional team and collaborate with Product, Design and Engineering. Use the latest engineering and software delivery practices, at scale. Support your growth with various training and development resources, including the opportunity to become AWS certified. Get involved with the Xero Mentorship Program, our many communities of practice and Employee Resource Groups such as Rainbow X, Parents @ Xero, Neurodiversity @ Xero and many more.
Lots of great perks, some of which include:
- Lots of great perks, some of which include:
- Employee Share Plan
- Deferred profit share plan - contribute to your RRSP and Xero matches your contributions by up to 4%
- 21 days Vacation Leave plus Wellbeing Leave, Xtra Leave and Holiday Leave
- Medical insurance - 100% reimbursement with no deductible, including paramedical expenses
- Dental reimbursement up to $1,500 annually, free eye examinations and $250 frames or lenses allowance
- If the unthinkable happens, you’re covered for two times your annual salary up to $750,000
- Fully funded short and long term disability policy, with income protection at 67% of annual base salary
- HSA through which you may be reimbursed for healthcare and dental expenses up to $500 annually
- Xero funds $360 annually into a use-it or lose-it account for wellbeing improvement expenses
- Up to$10k of inclusive fertility and family-forming services for all paths to parenthood
- Flexible working location
At Xero, we are empowered to bring our ‘whole self’ to work. Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate. We care about learning together and celebrate our teams’ continuous improvement and career development.
Want to read more about inclusivity at Xero? Learn a little more about it here
We offer a great remuneration package, including compelling benefits and perks, like Xero shares and great parental leave policies. We also support flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. Our Canadian Xero family includes Hubdoc and TaxCycle and we have offices in Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver. From the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset. Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for this role and Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.