At Space and Time, we are solving Web3’s toughest data analytics challenges at planetary scale with decentralized, peer-to-peer technology. Apps built on top of Space and Time become blockchain interoperable, crunching SQL + machine learning for enterprises and any decentralized applications that need verifiable tamperproofing, blockchain-security, or enterprise scale. We turn any major blockchain into a next-gen database by connecting off-chain storage with on-chain analytic insights. Our team is growing fast, backed by some of the top blockchain orgs and VCs.
A career at Space and Time is lucrative, fast-paced, and very creative. We value you (and all your ideas) like family and we bring an endless supply of perks. This includes flexible workweeks + flexible vacation, add-on bonuses for hard work, we attend exciting events/conferences/parties, we’re headquartered on the beach near LA (but don’t mind you working remote), and most importantly- we provide analytics technology to the largest dApps, DAOs, DeFi/DEXs, GameFi, NFT platforms, enterprises, etc. We are committed to growing a diverse and welcoming team in a safe space to be yourself and learn from the most innovative minds in blockchain and data warehousing. Help us invent the first decentralized supercomputer!
As the Engineering Manager for our Data Platform Engineering team you will be leading highly skilled engineers and tech leads responsible for developing hosted cloud analytics infrastructure, distributed SQL processing frameworks, proprietary data science platforms, and core database optimization. This team is responsible for building the automated, intelligent, and highly performant query planner and execution engines, RPC calls between data warehouse clusters, shared secondary cold storage, etc. This includes building new SQL features and customer-facing functionality, developing novel query optimization techniques for industry-leading performance, and building a database system that's highly parallel, efficient and fault-tolerant. This is a vital role reporting to exec leadership and senior engineering leadership.
- Grow the team by recruiting, interviewing, and hiring new team members
- Leading architecture development, execution and leaning into cloud – public, private and hybrid environments
- Develop a vision and strategy for the product portfolio and management execution with regards to data acquisition, engineering, and governance, database tuning, automated database management, sharding, etc
- Building tools, platforms and database integrations to turn a low-level backend data platform into a user-facing hosted cloud solution
- Scaling up from proof of concept to “cluster scale” (and eventually hundreds of clusters with hundreds of terabytes each), in terms of both infrastructure/architecture and problem structure
- Codifying best practices for future reuse in the form of accessible, reusable patterns, templates, and code bases to facilitate meta data capturing and management
- Managing a team of software engineers writing new code to build a bigger, better, faster, more optimized HTAP database (using Apache Spark, Apache Arrow and a wealth of other open source data tools)
- Interacting with exec team and senior engineering leadership to define, prioritize, and ensure smooth deployments with other operational components
- Highly engaged with industry trends within analytics domain from a data acquisition processing, engineering, management perspective
- Understand how data and analytics use cases across Web3 and major blockchains can be optimized through cluster-compute of SQL at extreme scale, on a global decentralized p2p network
- Develop the future leaders of Space and Time by providing continuous mentorship, coaching, and growth opportunities.
- Foster a culture of creativity and innovation while also promoting practical/agile decision-making
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in computer science or related technical field.
- 8+ years experience engineering software and distributed data systems / enterprise-scale data warehouses, preferably with knowledge of open source Apache stack (especially Apache Arrow, Apache Ignite and others)
- 3+ years experience leading/growing high-performance software engineering teams
- Familiarity with Apache projects (Apache Arrow, Ignite, Geode, Iceberg, Spark, or similar)
- A track record of recruiting and leading technical teams in a demanding talent market
- Rock solid engineering fundamentals; query planning, optimizing and distributed data warehouse systems experience is preferred but not required
- Experience with rapid development cycles in a web-based environment
- Strong scripting and test automation knowledge
- Ability to engage senior business leaders and translate between the needs of the business and the demands of / capacities of technology
- Knowledge of blockchain indexing, web3 compute paradigms, Proofs and consensus mechanisms… is a strong plus but not required
˖ Ultra competitive salaries
˖ Medical, dental, and vision insurance, disability/life insurance
˖ 401(k) Plan
˖ Aggressive bonus structure and/or Space and Time token allocations (similar to stock options)Very flexible PTO and paid holidays and flexible workweek
˖ Very flexible remote work options
˖ A massive list of perks including discretionary add-on bonuses for hard work, attending exciting events/conferences/parties, we’re headquartered on the beach near LA (but don’t mind you working remote)
Space and Time is an EOE and committed to building a diverse team