Metatheory Inc. is a technology-driven entertainment company building Web3 games, interactive multi-platform stories, and virtual world experiences imagined across innovative collective story franchise IPs. We are a remote-first dynamic team of builders, developers, and entrepreneurs that include key founding members from Twitch, as well as Emmy and Peabody Award winning producers and storytellers.
Our flagship IP is DuskBreakers, an eccentric, interactive sci-fi saga set in a post-apocalyptic world where a mysterious alien ship (The Dusk) becomes a beacon of hope for humanity. The franchise spans games, video, NFTs, and other media formats.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to help us execute against our broader vision of creating unique game, entertainment, and transmedia experiences. The right candidate will be able to work remotely and effectively collaborate with a global team of both individual contributors and executive leadership to help ensure we meet the goals that we have set for our team and on behalf of our community. A passion for gaming – coupled with the desire to be at the forefront of Web3 developments and to explore what unique opportunities are available – are required.
The Engineering Manager will help guide and lead our platform team to make solid technical decisions and deliver great products at pace. We pride ourselves in creating unique experiences for our users and pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in both gaming and the Web3 space. We seek proven technical leaders that understand best practices for API and Web development and are flexible enough to combine that with deep Web3 and Video Game interactions.
If you desire to generate real impact in a startup environment and feel comfortable doing whatever it takes to ship awesome products, we'd love to explore that with you!
- You’ll be leading a large team that’s responsible for the Metatheory platform which currently includes our website, user onboarding, account management, games launcher, smart contract systems, database and caching systems, infrastructure as code, and deployment systems and all other systems that power our deeply coupled and coordinated interactive environment
- Manage, grow, and mentor the platform engineering team (currently ~8 full stack engineers at various levels of experience distributed globally); create processes and structure to build a high impact, high velocity team that builds amazing products for our users and community
- Lead and influence product direction with empathy and thoughtful leadership
- Help design robust and scalable APIs and lead the team to understand and implement technical excellence
- Work closely with product and design and other cross functional partners to build and ship platform experiences and features for our users
- Partner with product management to provide a compelling technical vision and long-term roadmap for the team that is aligned with company goals
- Identify the best path forward and influence decisions through technical vision, prioritization and technical leadership, striking a healthy balance between bias for action and building for the future
- Work with product managers and engineers to estimate scope of work, manage sprints, define release schedules and track progress
- Foster high-quality software development while maximizing velocity and balancing tech debt
- Keep the team accountable for hitting business goals and driving meaningful impact
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or a related field or equivalent practical experience
- 3-5+ years of experience as an engineering manager
- 5+ years of software engineering experience as a hands-on engineer building large scale software applications
- Strong ownership of your work, experience leading cross-team projects and an inclination for collaboration
- Knowledge of best practices for the full software development life cycle
- Ability to work in a fast changing environment and comfort with ambiguity
- Customer empathy and obsession with a focus on delivering high-quality software
- Experience with building Web Applications, backend systems (including REST APIs and GraphQL)
- Experience building and scaling services using Amazon Web Services and platform
- Excellent debugging, optimization, unit/integration testing, and data-analysis skills regarding large scale distributed systems
- Experience working on platform and/or ecosystem teams and building 0 to 1 products
- Experience working on growth teams or with SEO
- Experience with scheduling and ticket management tools such as JIRA
- Passion for gaming and web3 curiosity
- Gaming industry experience
Candidates should be comfortable working in a remote, fast-paced, fluid, and ever-changing startup environment with a globally distributed team. We are currently remote first and will always embrace work from home culture, although we may have some more offices in the future. Candidates should be excited about the future potential of blockchain, but no prior experience is required.