Who We Are:
Solana Labs, Inc. (“Solana Labs”) is a technology company that builds products, tools, and reference implementations to further expand the Solana ecosystem. Solana is a global state machine, and the world’s most performant blockchain. It gives developers the confidence to build for the long term by delivering predictable scaling without compromising security or composability. Solana’s performance is driven by a single global state, which is capable of processing tens of thousands of smart contracts at once, and by Proof of History, a distributed clock that unlocks low-latency, sub-second finality across the global state. Established in 2018, Solana Labs is a technology company with a fast paced, problem-solving environment that operates at the center of blockchain infrastructure, cryptocurrency and decentralized applications.
About the role:
We are looking for a Core Engineering Communications & Relations Manager to join the Solana Labs team.
Your role will center around being the glue between the engineering team at Solana Labs, external core engineers working on Solana, and the Solana ecosystem. The role will require communicating about core engineering updates with various stakeholders in a clear and digestible manner, create avenues for stakeholders to share feedback outside of github and help to drive core engineering priorities.
To be successful, you will need strong interpersonal skills as well as an ability to work in a fast-paced, ever changing technology environment. You should have that rare mix of an engineering background, and being a self-starter who knows how to work with and communicate between multiple teams. We are a small team and looking for someone who can roll up their sleeves and be excited to work on different aspects of management, marketing, and community engagement to ensure proper distribution of important developments to all important stakeholders.
- Serve as the primary lead on translating complex engineering progress and topics to the broader Solana ecosystem in the form of blogs, tweets, media interfacing, and direct messaging.
- Stay abreast of engineering efforts and priorities of core & mobile engineers to be able to communicate finer grained ongoing progress to wider ecosystem participants.
- Work with Solana Lab’s core engineers to communicate and synchronize Labs priorities to external core engineering teams.
- Work with core engineers to develop conceptual roadmaps balancing the priorities of the engineering team and the needs of the wider community. Includes meeting with ecosystem participants and synthesizing their needs and concerns into actionable items to help drive core engineering priorities.
- Work with the Solana Labs core engineers and core engineers across the ecosystem to put together a cadence of content and updates for the community that covers client upgrades, feature improvements, and other aspects of the core development environment.
- Work with Solana Mobile engineers to write technical documentation to promote adoption and integrations into the Solana Mobile platform, including in other network ecosystems.
- Develop and promote new conceptual frameworks for understanding the wider blockchain engineering ecosystem and the trade-offs and benefits of new technologies as they become relevant to the conversation surrounding the Solana ecosystem’s engineering decisions. This would include talking to and researching other ecosystems to understand the tradeoffs and form a cohesive comms strategy about “Why Solana.” When warranted, use these conversations to drive or adjust core engineering priorities to changing market developments.
- Respond to the community’s inquiries about real-time events occurring in Solana development or on-chain activity.
- Actively participate in crisis communications and information gathering in emergency situations, leveraging engineering background to free up core engineers to continue investigations while observing and translating the current debugging analysis.
- Participate often in Github discussions regarding Solana Improvement Document (SIMD) proposals and progress and be able to properly summarize/facilitate important decisions for the non-technical community.
- Understand the nuances of communicating with a Web3 ecosystem and all of its participants (core developers, app developers, liquidity providers, etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, or a related field
- Business or management experience is a plus
- Experience with understanding complex engineering projects
- Experience with process-oriented incident management
- 3+ years of experience as an engineer, engineering project manager, or in a similar role
- Exceptional written communication skills with a focus on precision and concision
- Be able to ruthlessly prioritize the important and urgent tasks over the daily noise
- Hands-on experience with marketing automation platforms is a plus
- Experience instrumenting marketing tracking is a plus
- Open source software industry experience a strong plus
- Startup experience a plus
The salary range for US-based candidates will be determined throughout the interview process depending on experience, skill, and location. Candidates should anticipate an annual base salary (not including incentive compensation or other benefits) of $USD 150,000 - $USD 255,000.