Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
What’s the Role?
As a Security Engineer at Xero, you’ll ensure our platform security systems are deployed and maintained to support the requirements of our teams.
You’ll be hands-on solving problems at scale in a massive AWS environment. In time you'll become deeply familiar with the capabilities of our vendors to build and support modern and adaptable security services that will delight our customers.
We run mission-critical infrastructure, and you’ll build resilient and scalable systems. Automation will be the standard for you, and you’ll seek new and interesting ways to reduce our operational overheads. Most importantly, you’ll be a team player and get to work with an awesome group of engineers in an amazing and unique working environment.
Meet The Team
The mission of the Identity and Access team is to provide the right people, the right access, at the right time.
We’re a collective of engineers from varying backgrounds that focus our efforts on making our platform and applications easy to use for our engineers. We build guard rails rather than roadblocks, and strive to make it easy for our customers to ship secure products with as little friction as possible.
We’re looking for a curious cloud engineer to join our team and help us continue to keep Xero secure.
While we don’t require you to have worked with our tech stack previously, what is important is you are happy to learn and work with it. Generally, the technologies we work with are:
- AWS is our main cloud provider, however knowledge of Azure and GCP is beneficial
- Okta (Single Sign On)
- Active Directory
- Automation tools e.g. Terraform
- JSON, YAML, and AWS CloudFormation templates.
What you'll do:
- Ensure Xero Platform Identity and Access solutions are deployed and managed in a repeatable, reliable manner.
- Be eager to improve current processes and have an understanding of Continuous Integration/Delivery; develop and maintain documentation.
- Administer and support tools such as Okta, Active Directory, and work to automate AWS services (such as IAM, AWS SSO, Organizations, CodePipeline, S3, Lambda, EC2).
- Work with the Xero Security Teams and Production Platform services to ensure that any escalated incidents and problems are resolved in a timely and comprehensive manner.
- Participate in the 24/7 on-call roster as required.
What you'll bring:
- A willingness to support and understand the different solutions we use to support our platform systems.
- Willingness to write code in Python and other scripting languages.
- Some understanding of DevOps and Agile practices.
- A basic understanding of network and system administration security
- A strong drive to work in a team-oriented and collaborative environment.
- A passion for delivering high quality products to your customers.
What we offer:
- Employee Share Plan, alongside an additional 5 annual Leave days, PLUS bonus holiday Leave.
- Wellbeing leave, Parental and Partner Leave, Life Insurance and Private Health Insurance.
- Flexible working arrangements and weekly social events.
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. Our goal is to make sure you feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset. Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for this role and Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.