Villa is building America’s leading next-generation homebuilding platform. With a mission to be the easiest, fastest, and most cost-efficient way to build homes, Villa is a highly scalable new approach to offsite homebuilding and is playing a critical role in solving the many problems facing the U.S. housing market. Villa provides end-to-end services for clients that span feasibility, design, permitting, and construction of high-quality homes built using modern offsite construction. Villa is currently the largest ADU builder in California and is growing rapidly into other housing products and geographies.
We are revolutionizing the real estate industry by leveraging data-driven solutions. Our innovative platform helps investors, developers, and construction professionals make informed decisions about project feasibility, site work costs, and more. We are seeking a talented Data Engineer to join our dynamic team, report to the Head of Engineering, and contribute to our mission of transforming the way the industry operates.
As a Data Engineer, you will play a crucial role in the development and maintenance of our data infrastructure, ensuring the efficient collection, storage, and processing of diverse data sources. You will collaborate with cross-functional teams, including data scientists, software engineers, and business stakeholders, to build robust models that estimate site work costs and assess project feasibility. This role requires a strong blend of technical expertise, problem-solving skills, and a passion for working with large datasets to extract valuable insights. If you are a highly motivated and skilled Data Engineer, we would love to hear from you.
What You'll Do:
- The Data Engineer role involves the following responsibilities:
Data Collection and Integration:
- Identify and evaluate relevant data sources, both internal and external, to support site work cost estimation and project feasibility analysis.
- Design and implement data collection strategies, ensuring data quality, consistency, and integrity.
- Develop and maintain data pipelines, leveraging ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) processes to efficiently integrate data from multiple sources.
Data Modeling and Analysis:
- Collaborate with data scientists and domain experts to understand requirements and develop data models that support site work cost estimation and project feasibility analysis.
- Design and implement scalable and efficient algorithms to extract insights from complex datasets.
- Apply statistical methods and machine learning techniques to develop predictive models that estimate site work costs and assess project feasibility.
Data Infrastructure and Optimization:
- Build and maintain scalable and robust data infrastructure, including data warehouses, databases, and data processing systems.
- Identify and implement improvements to enhance data pipeline efficiency, data quality, and overall system performance.
- Monitor data pipelines, proactively identifying and resolving issues to ensure uninterrupted data flow.
Collaboration and Communication:
- Work closely with cross-functional teams, including data scientists, software engineers, and business stakeholders, to understand requirements and deliver high-quality data solutions.
- Communicate complex technical concepts and findings to non-technical stakeholders effectively.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends and advancements in data engineering, sharing knowledge and insights with the team.
What You Have:
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Data Engineering, or a related field.
- Proven experience (2+ years) as a Data Engineer or similar role, working with large datasets and building data pipelines.
- Strong programming skills in languages such as Python, SQL, and Scala.
- Proficient in working with databases and data warehousing technologies (e.g., SQL, NoSQL, PostgreSQL, Amazon Redshift).
- Familiarity with data processing frameworks and tools (e.g., Apache Spark, Hadoop, Airflow).
- Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud.
- Knowledge of statistical analysis, machine learning, and data modeling techniques.
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you’re excited about this role, but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply.
Villa is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law. Villa considers all qualified applicants in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.