Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the role
Platform Engineering is looking for a Team Lead to join the group. Our teams are responsible for many of the critical applications and services that sit at the heart of the Xero product, and are used by teams across Xero to deliver customer value quickly and easily.
How you’ll make an impact
You’ll be managing a team of engineers, supporting excellent engineering and delivery practices to enable rapid delivery of high quality software engineering. You will be responsible for supporting your direct reports in becoming awesome Xeros, empowering them to deliver high-quality software to customers, and fostering the growth of a world-class engineering culture.
You’ll maintain a working environment in which your team can do their best work predictably and sustainably. You’ll make sure the team has all the information they need and the right feedback loops in place to discover and deliver valuable, usable, and buildable outcomes. You’ll monitor and look to support the operational health of your team and products, aiming for resilience.
You will support your team to hone their engineering skills and grow as individuals in order to meet the capabilities required for the team. Your focus will be on driving engineering initiatives and ensuring the team makes progress towards their goals.
What you'll do
- Support each member of your team to identify, grow and develop engineering capabilities and overall personal development, working with them to understand career growth opportunities
- Focus on software delivery metrics, with an emphasis on identifying and coaching the team to implement changes to ensure high performance
- Ensure your team’s delivery pipeline is flowing at a predictable and sustainable pace, raising and addressing blockers as appropriate
- Work with engineers and CX teams to troubleshoot and resolve production issues, where appropriate. Ensure that post-incident learnings are collected and actioned
- Working with your peers in Product and your team, assist in the development roadmaps and plans which effectively and efficiently deliver business outcomes
- Understand when your people are most engaged, removing barriers to support them to do the best work of their lives
- Role-model exemplary leadership by supporting and growing the next generation of engineering leaders at Xero
- Manage the team’s on-call roster, whist monitoring and promoting sustainable on-call practices
What you’ll bring
- Experience of managing software delivery and/or other teams using Lean-Agile techniques
- Excellent grasp of modern software delivery practices
- Proven ability to balance the needs of the individual with the needs of the business
- Experience with coaching and mentoring
- Previously worked in a digital product or SaaS environment
- A focus on release safety using canary deployments or feature flags
- A growth mind-set. You understand that competency is not fixed but is enhanced through dedication and hard work
- Self aware, self regulated, motivated and empathetic, with great interpersonal skills.
We’d love to talk to you if you like what you’ve read so far, and have some of the skills above. You don’t need to know everything; we’ll teach you the rest.
Why you should become a Xero
Xero is continuing to grow and there are opportunities to join us!
You can choose to perform this role:
-In one of our #beautiful offices in Wellington or Auckland
-Flexibly, through a hybrid of in office and remote working styles
As a permanent remote worker at Xero we want to ensure you are getting the same #beautiful employee experience as our in-office Xero’s. Permanent remote Xero’s will benefit from a virtual ergonomic work assessment and funding to assist with the improvement of your at home work setup. You are part of our #team and we want to see you thrive!
We’re very supportive of flexible working arrangements and offer a competitive remuneration package including shares and life insurance, in addition to your base salary. We have a culture we’re proud of. Whether you're after a workplace with a social vibe, or a workplace which understands your family is priority - Xero is all of that and more.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset.
Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for this role and Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.