We are looking for a creative, product-oriented engineer to join our team and help build high-quality, delightful experiences while elevating the product craft across the company. For this role, the engineer will collaborate directly with designers and product managers, building some of the core experiences in Discord such as mobile design, messaging, voice/video calls, and socializing. We're looking for a user experience leader - someone who can prototype concepts in a few hours or spend days perfecting user interactions and animation curves. We want someone with product opinions who can build an amazing product that users will fall in love with.
What you'll do
- Build high-quality products, working directly with design and product teams to define the right solutions and ship delightful experiences.
- Improve the craft of building products at Discord, help build the foundations that allow others to also ship amazing experiences.
- Lead teams of highly engaged engineers by coaching and having influence, directly and through your managers.
- Work with Product, Design, and Marketing to define your team's vision and roadmap by thoroughly understanding your customers' needs.
- Use your technical expertise to constantly improve and ensure your team delivers extraordinary results at the high technical level we set.
- Make sound first-principle decisions around resourcing, and make the rationale clear to partners and team members.
- Partner with your director on strategic planning and improve the Engineering organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
- You will report to the Director of Engineering of our Aperture team
What you have
- 7+ years Full-stack experience. We're a multi-platform team, so it's important to understand the development frameworks and fundamentals of one or more of our platforms: web (React, TypeScript), and backend (Python and some Elixir).
- 5+ years of mobile experience on Android (React Native, Kotlin), iOS (React Native, Objective-C, Swift)
- Attention to detail and an eye for visuals. Design skills are not required but you will critique and modify existing designs.
- Led large projects from creation to launch.
- A growth mindset. You view mistakes as learning opportunities and build upon your successes. You challenge yourself and those around you to improve
- A focus on impact. You have a thoughtful eye for what changes can bring a product from good to great. You collaborate with product managers, designers, analysts, and other engineers to define great solutions to business problems
- A sense of ownership. You believe in solving a problem completely rather than simply shipping a solution. You can operate autonomously.
- A portfolio of well designed, high quality projects you've worked
- Public posts or speaking events talking about product development and/or design
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $214,000 to $233,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 14+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!