We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
In our cars, you’re free to be yourself. It’s the same here at Cruise. We’re creating a culture that values the experiences and contributions of all of the unique individuals who collectively make up Cruise, so that every employee can do their best work.
Cruise is committed to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment, both in our workplace and in our products. If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, come join us. Even if you might not meet every requirement, we strongly encourage you to apply. You might just be the right candidate for us.
Cruise is currently seeking a highly motivated Senior Staff Mechanical Integration Engineer. In this position, you will be part of the Hardware Team, which is responsible for integrating the computing systems and hardware management for our various autonomous vehicles. This role will have testing oversight and will bridge cross-functional interfaces throughout the organization and various vendors externally to ensure the proper build-up of functions and capabilities from design to production. You will be expected to: Lead and drive the specification and execution of computing systems integration plans for vehicle-level features and deliverables for various autonomous vehicles, ensuring they are integrated sufficiently to meet requirements. Focus on autonomous critical initiatives, diving deep into technical areas, understanding business priorities, and working independently.
What you’ll be doing:
- Work with cross-functional, vehicle design/integration, vehicle servicing, vehicle test teams, and Tier 1s to come up with detailed packaging requirements, solutions, plans, and designs, and implement the integration process for various autonomous vehicles.
- Work with the design teams to study design trade-offs and define detailed vehicle integration specifications for various autonomous vehicles. Present data/trade-offs to management to facilitate the making of decisions.
- Work with the Program Managers and Engineers to set program priorities. Execute the program with a focus on technical execution to achieve program milestones.
- Actively and proactively manage Vehicle-Level system activities with cross-functional teams including feature, requirements definition, mitigate vehicle integration technical risks, and align design math cross-functionally.
- Identify, document, and highlight cross-functional gaps and dependencies - proactively work closely with the design release team to resolve integration issues and ensure vehicle functionality.
- Develop and execute vehicle integration plans, pulling together relevant sub-system components while keeping track of overall program achievements and delivery objectives.
- Ability and experience working independently on large vaguely defined problems and taking ownership of delivery for large-scale cross-functional projects.
- Work closely with the fleet, servicing, and test teams to help scope planned testing to ensure all requirements will be tested according to defined requirements and verification methods.
What you must have:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or mechatronics Engineering or equivalent with at least 5+ years of professional experience in the autonomous driving or automotive industry.
- Attention to detail, Systems-level thinking, demonstrating full ownership of the tasks assigned, willing to share knowledge and learn new skills.
- Understand timelines and determine project deadlines to meet the program's timing.
- Experience in electromechanical integration and hands-on experience debugging complex systems that involve computing systems with interfaces to various vehicle structural or sub-systems.
Strong understanding of automotive hardware concepts and development processes.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced development environment. Actively and proactively collaborate cross-functionally with other internal and external teams to solve vehicle-level integration problems.
- Strong understanding of vehicle safety-critical concepts and testing-related safety procedures
- Strong written and communication skills.
- Self-starting mentality and strong teamwork and enjoy working on a variety of projects simultaneously.
- Must be self-motivated with a desire to continuously improve and learn.
- Experience with computing systems for autonomous vehicles
- Experience with Atlassian Jira and Confluence
- Experience in safety-critical automotive industries
- Having a firm understanding and knowledge of the requirements and capabilities of automotive systems or commercial truck systems, or agricultural systems.
- A history of coordinating multiple projects and partnering cross-functionally
The salary range for this position is $148,600-$218,500. Compensation will vary depending on location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. You may also be offered a bonus, restricted stock units, and benefits. These ranges are subject to change.
Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks available for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care, and medical leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Flexible Spending Account
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- CruiseFlex, a working policy for US-Based Cruisers, lets you and your manager find the working style that’s best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home, or a combination of home and in-office time. - learn more about CruiseFlex here
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price, and Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow. We offer a new kind of equity program called Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO), which combines IPO-like liquidity with the stability of remaining private - learn more about RLO here
We’re Safety Conscious
- We integrate #staysafe, our top priority at Cruise, into our everyday work. Through our Safety Management System, every Cruiser is asked to do their part by reporting any potential issues or hazards they observe and making continuous improvements. You’ll be able to contribute to safety at Cruise, no matter your job function or title.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives. We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, caste, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email [email protected].
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
Candidates applying for roles that operate and remotely operate the AV: Licensed to drive a motor vehicle in the U.S. for the three years immediately preceding your application, currently holding an active in-state regular driver’s license or equivalent, and no more than one point on driving record. A successful completion of a background check, drug screen and DMV Motor Vehicle Record check is also required.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.