At Space and Time, we are solving Web3’s toughest data analytics challenges at planetary scale with decentralized, peer-to-peer technology. Apps built on top of Space and Time become blockchain interoperable, crunching SQL + machine learning for enterprises and any decentralized applications that need verifiable tamperproofing, blockchain-security, or enterprise scale. We turn any major blockchain into a next-gen database by connecting off-chain storage with on-chain analytic insights. Our team is growing fast, backed by some of the top blockchain orgs and VCs.
A career at Space and Time is lucrative, fast-paced, and very creative. We value you (and all your ideas) like family and we bring an endless supply of perks. This includes flexible workweeks + flexible vacation, add-on bonuses for hard work, we attend exciting events/conferences/parties, we’re headquartered on the beach near LA (but don’t mind you working remote), and most importantly- we provide analytics technology to the largest dApps, DAOs, DeFi/DEXs, GameFi, NFT platforms, enterprises, etc. We are committed to growing a diverse and welcoming team in a safe space to be yourself and learn from the most innovative minds in blockchain and data warehousing. Help us invent the first decentralized supercomputer!
As a Software Engineer on the Data Platform Engineering team, you will join skilled engineers and core database developers responsible for developing new in-memory computing tools and technologies based on Apache Arrow, to help launch data analytics from start to scale. You will collaborate with this diverse and talented team to drive innovations in data processing, implement performant network communications libraries, and build the core foundations for distributed data analytics solutions. This team is responsible for building the automated, intelligent, and highly performant query planner and execution engines, RPC calls between data warehouse clusters, shared secondary cold storage, etc. This includes building new SQL features and customer-facing functionality, developing novel query optimization techniques for industry-leading performance, and building a database system that's highly parallel, efficient and fault-tolerant. This is a vital role reporting to exec leadership and senior engineering leadership.
- Leverage and improve upon Apache Arrow’s in-memory, columnar format for data processing
- Utilize Apache Arrow to create new features for Space and Time’s hosted, multi-cluster data warehouse for Web3
- Write Rust code, understand distributed systems, and contribute to building Arrow DataFusion and Ballista
- Improve and optimize performance at scale leveraging existing Arrow primitives
- Develop new high-performance networking and communication primitives
- Improve performance of conversion on Spark DataFrame/RDD
- Develop database optimizers, query planners, query and data routing mechanisms, cluster-to-cluster communication, and workload management techniques
- Scaling up from proof of concept to “cluster scale” (and eventually hundreds of clusters with hundreds of terabytes each), in terms of both infrastructure/architecture and problem structure
- Analyze and enhance communication throughput in a MPP and distributed query engine
- Collaborate with the team responsible for writing new code to build a bigger, better, faster, more optimized HTAP database (using Apache Spark, Apache Arrow and a wealth of other open source data tools)
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in computer science or related technical field.
- 5+ years of experience engineering software and distributed systems / enterprise-scale data warehouses
- 2+ years of experience with Apache Arrow
- Experience with data processing, database internals including Apache Spark
- Experience developing scalable distributed systems and deploying, scaling, and managing microservices
- Knowledge of concurrency, multithreading, and synchronization a plus Nice to have:
- Experience contributing to open-source software projects like the Apache Software Foundation
˖ Ultra competitive salaries
˖ Medical, dental, and vision insurance, disability/life insurance
˖ 401(k) Plan
˖ Aggressive bonus structure and/or Space and Time token allocations (similar to stock options)Very flexible PTO and paid holidays and flexible workweek
˖ Very flexible remote work options
˖ A massive list of perks including discretionary add-on bonuses for hard work, attending exciting events/conferences/parties, we’re headquartered on the beach near LA (but don’t mind you working remote)
Space and Time is an EOE and committed to building a diverse team