The Collision Avoidance System (CAS) at Zoox is responsible for detecting and reacting to imminent collision situations in support of our vehicle’s overall safety goals. CAS team consists of a diverse team of engineers experienced in perception, prediction, planning, and verification & validation. Overall CAS is parallel and complementary to our Main AI autonomy stack, and has a close relationship with our vehicle hardware and safety teams in order to architect redundancy into our overall driving system. As Zoox prepares to launch our technology on public roads, we are seeking an experienced systems engineer to own system architecture, system/software design requirements and analysis.
- Lead various systems engineering activities that are essential for delivering mission critical features for collision avoidance
- Help create architecture and design artifacts that describe the CAS software architecture
- Define and implement end-to-end traceability of software development lifecycle including: requirements, architecture, code, and tests
- Collaborate with the safety team to ensure the safety requirements have been fulfilled
- Work with test engineers to build validation plans, ensure the requirements are properly tested, analyzed and evaluated.
- Perform quantitative risk assessment and software safety analysis (FMEA, FTA, DFA) for CAS
- Advanced degree in robotics, computer engineering, electronics engineering, mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering or related fields
- Have minimally 8 years of experience in system engineering for safety critical product development
- Solid understanding of autonomy software architecture principles and design patterns
- Systems engineering and/or system safety training
- Working knowledge of standard systems engineering tools (DOORs, Rationale, JAMA, SysML, Polarion, etc.)
- Collaborative team player with strong written and in-person communication skills
- Shipped software products to market in production automobile or other systems that require safety-critical software in embedded hardware
- Experience with interpreting industry safety standards such as ISO26262, SOTIF 21448, DO178, NCAP, SAE, FMVSS, ISO-TC204-standards (ITS), IIHS etc
- Working experience in automotive industry or the autonomous driving technology industry
- Subject matter expertise in at least one of these areas. (1) Sensor perception, (2) Motion planning and control, (3) Distributed system design (4) Embedded Systems
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $204,000 to $294,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.