Every day, tens of millions of people come to Roblox to explore, create, play, learn, and connect with friends in 3D immersive digital experiences– all created by our global community of developers and creators.
At Roblox, we’re building the tools and platform that empower our community to bring any experience that they can imagine to life. Our vision is to reimagine the way people come together, from anywhere in the world, and on any device. We’re on a mission to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and looking for amazing talent to help us get there.
A career at Roblox means you’ll be working to shape the future of human interaction, solving unique technical challenges at scale, and helping to create safer, more civil shared experiences for everyone.
The Observability team provides the vital signs for our software components that subtend the Metaverse. As the three pillars of modern observability, Telemetry, Distributed Tracing, and Logging have become increasingly important when combating all kinds of issues in microservice architecture with Telemetry revealing eagle view and stats of the vital signs of services, Tracing providing contextual analytics and drill down capability for individual requests/responses, and Logging supplying sure-footed textual evidence.
The Observability team owns the entire stack of Telemetry, Distributed Tracing, and Logs, including instrumentation libraries, data processing pipelines, data storage, and the visualization UI. We believe in user-centric strategy, and are focused on impact.
- Work with our business partners to determine the vision and roadmap, and lead the project execution end-to-end.
- Take full ownership of existing observability infrastructures, making sure they are scalable, reliable and easy to use, and meanwhile improve the existing infrastructures with new features and functionality.
- Follow and expand our vision to put the Roblox community first and get things done.
- You will take the long view to architect the next generation Observability Infrastructures that can smoothly handle tens of billions active metric streams, and PBs of log and tracing data everyday.
- You will report to the Director of Engineering, Observability.
- This is a Hybrid role located in our San Mateo headquarters. You are required to be in the office at HQ 3 days a week (Tues-Thurs). #LI-Hybrid
- 5+ years of working experience and experience in building, maintaining and evolving large scale distributed systems.
- You understand all the components that are required to build modern, large-scale infrastructures. You own end-to-end availability and performance of critical services to reduce operational overhead.
- You also love to pick up new technologies as the landscape evolves. Previous contributions to the Open Source Community is a big plus.
- Passion about mentoring junior engineers, with the ability to earn their respect and help them stretch themselves to build great software and level up their technical knowledge.
- You hold a BS in Computer Science or related fields; Masters degree or higher is a definite plus.
- Someone who excels in rapid-paced environments. You can think from the user's perspective and are able convert different ideas and feature requests into concrete projects, then guide the design, implementation, launch, and user onboarding.
For roles that are based at our headquarters in San Mateo, CA: The starting base pay for this position is as shown below. The actual base pay is dependent upon a variety of job-related factors such as professional background, training, work experience, location, business needs and market demand. Therefore, in some circumstances, the actual salary could fall outside of this expected range. This pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. All full-time employees are also eligible for equity compensation and for benefits.
Annual Salary Range
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.