Every day, tens of millions of people come to Roblox to explore, create, play, learn, and connect with friends in 3D immersive digital experiences– all created by our global community of developers and creators.
At Roblox, we’re building the tools and platform that empower our community to bring any experience that they can imagine to life. Our vision is to reimagine the way people come together, from anywhere in the world, and on any device. We’re on a mission to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and looking for amazing talent to help us get there.
A career at Roblox means you’ll be working to shape the future of human interaction, solving unique technical challenges at scale, and helping to create safer, more civil shared experiences for everyone.
Why Virtual Economy?
As a Senior / Principal Software Engineer reporting to our Engineering Manager working on the Virtual Economy, you will oversee the scale and security of all things virtual economy at Roblox, from purchasing and selling virtual items to the future of commerce in the metaverse. This team maintains the base tooling that powers a virtual marketplace, handling millions of transactions a day. They provide the infrastructure and statistics to empower developers to monetize their games, with our developers earning hundreds of millions of dollars each year. You will help scale our distributed systems while maintaining a safe and secure economy.
- Have direct impact on the future direction of the largest social platform for play, delivering groundbreaking solutions allowing our development teams earn a sustainable living and build experiences for a global community of over 200 million monthly active users
- Develop backend services that scale to billions of products and transactions in a reliable, secure manner.
- Innovate on virtual economy in the metaverse and build the next generation of commerce in the metaverse
- Be a tech lead for the team and mentor junior engineers
- Help recruit future talent for the team
- 8+ years experience Designing and developing a wide-array of software products
- 8+ years experience working on large-scale, consumer-facing mobile and web applications
- 5+ years working with REST, API design patterns, and scalable containerized systems and microservices
- A Bachelor's degree (or equivalent professional experience) in Computer Science or related engineering field
- Passion about working on the virtual economy in the metaverse
- A focus on writing clear, readable, testable, modular, and monitored code
- A data-driven mindset with a focus to provide quality metrics and monitoring
- A Technical Leader: You have initiated and facilitated challenging technical solutions. Your technical expertise influences product direction. You foster a culture of technical excellence.
- Versatile: You're a jack of all trades and you are comfortable with several languages and technologies already; you are adaptable in any situation. You are resourceful, and take a creative and strategic approach to solving hard problems.
- Analytical: Excited to investigate large, ambiguous problems, and quantify the problems and the solutions.User Oriented: You always start with the needs of the user, whether they are Roblox users or internal engineers before architecting a solution.
For roles that are based at our headquarters in San Mateo, CA: The starting base pay for this position is as shown below. The actual base pay is dependent upon a variety of job-related factors such as professional background, training, work experience, location, business needs and market demand. Therefore, in some circumstances, the actual salary could fall outside of this expected range. This pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. All full-time employees are also eligible for equity compensation and for benefits.
Annual Salary Range
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.