Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the team
Are you curious about what it takes to bring Machine Learning products from an idea to life?
Are you interested in collaborating with and learning from a group of talented Machine Learning Engineers and Applied Scientists?
Would you like to be in one of the fastest growing technology fields, where your contribution has a big impact?
Xero’s Machine Learning solutions operate as evolving products that are owned by cross-functional pods made up of ML Engineers and Applied Scientists. Our teams are largely geographically co-located but we offer both fully permanent remote roles within Ontario, as well as hybrid roles where you choose how often you'd like to go into the office. Our teams remain connected to the global guilds of their specific discipline to leverage and share practices, tools and expertise. We are evolving and maturing constantly!
You will create commercial-grade Machine Learning solutions helping millions of customers, while solving complex engineering problems at scale.
About the role
- As a Senior Machine Learning Engineer, you'll be part of a diverse and collaborative team, designing and building the data pipelines and applications that will enable Xero to bring intelligent, insightful products and beautiful experiences to millions of customers around the world. You will build Machine Learning applications that can run and evolve at scale, leveraging microservices and the latest technologies.
- Our tech stack currently includes:
- A lot of Python, which may evolve to include languages like Go
- Deployments on Kubernetes using Helm and AWS Lambda using CloudFormation
- Data stores that include S3, DynamoDB, MS SQL and Snowflake
- Spark and Presto for data analysis and processing
- Model pipelines in Tensorflow
- Given the rapid evolution of the ML domain, we're always exploring new tools to add to our stack.
- You own your solutions, deciding which tools are best suitable to build them, and how to evolve them.
- You work effectively in remote teams that engage via a large amount of asynchronous (written) communications.
- You have a constant will to learn and thrive in a diverse and collaborative team.
What you'll bring with you
- Track record of solving customers' problems through software.
- Experience in for building production-grade maintainable backend services.
- Experience deploying code to production via CI/CD pipelines and knowledge of application architecture.
- Experience working within commercial software development teams.
At Xero, we are empowered to bring our ‘whole self’ to work. Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate. We care about learning together and celebrate our teams’ continuous improvement and career development.
Want to read more about inclusivity at Xero? Learn a little more about it here
We offer a great remuneration package, including compelling benefits and perks, like Xero shares and great parental leave policies. We also support flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. Our Canadian Xero family includes Hubdoc and TaxCycle and we have offices in Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver. From the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset. Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for this role and Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.