Metatheory Inc. is a technology-driven entertainment company building Web3 games, interactive multi-platform stories, and virtual world experiences imagined across innovative collective story franchise IPs. We are a remote first dynamic team of builders, developers, and entrepreneurs including several key founding members of Twitch along with multiple Emmy and Peabody winning producers and storytellers.
Our flagship IP is DuskBreakers, an eccentric, interactive sci fi saga set in a post-apocalyptic world where a mysterious alien ship (The Dusk) becomes a beacon of hope for humanity. The franchise spans games, animated content, NFTs, and other media formats.
We are looking for a Senior Game Systems Engineer to help lead the design and implementation of our gameplay systems.
Flexibility, autonomy and the ability to work in a fast paced and remote environment are required, but we pair that with a great team and a fun atmosphere with a love of gaming. We are trying to do something unique and be good thought leaders in the Web3 gaming space.
If you have a desire to have real impact in a startup environment and feel comfortable doing whatever it takes to get awesome products to customers, we'd love to explore that with you!
- Design, implement, and balance gameplay systems such as player abilities and weapons
- Iterate, polish and balance player progression and experience
- Assume responsibility for programming the design team’s systems, creating code which is often complex and intricate – both for single player and online content. That responsibility also extends to the analyzation and optimization of code created by teammates
- Produce prototypes, oversee testing and implement changes
- Collaborate with designers, programmers, and artists to ensure consistency across the board and understand the overall game design vision
- Design innovative, cooperative, and social game systems, and drive their development to fulfill the creative vision of the game while making sure to meet production directives
- Act as producer for your work, collaborating across disciplines to get work done and clear dependencies, ensuring deadlines are met, and championing aspects of the gameplay
- Follow up on features post-launch to improve, add, or remove components (in certain cases)
- Stay up to date on best practices to keep up with the industry & develop your skills and refresh your knowledge
- Adapt to technical and production constraints, reworking designs when and as often as needed
- Assemble all software and hardware required
- Data entry and management of game database assets
- Write clear and concise game design documents
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as needed
- 5+ Experience with designing, developing, and maintaining games or game platform technology (live / online game development a plus).Familiarity with art integration pipelines and modern game development toolsets
- Familiarity with Unity or other game engines and tools
- Experience with implementing network gameplay, AI, or physics
- Capable of working with and creating game scripting systems
- Excellent understanding of cooperative and social game systems and game play fundamentals
- Strong understanding of stat curves, player progression systems, and game play loops
- Ability to identify, break down, and define core mechanics
- Familiarity with online gaming communities and live streaming platforms
- Exceptional mentorship, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Strong ability to organize and structure their own work
- Ability to apply critical and analytical thinking to solve complex challenges
- Expert knowledge of gaming software and hardware
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Math, Engineering or related area
- A passion for video games
- Shipped at least one AAA multiplayer title
Candidates should be comfortable working in a remote, fast-paced, fluid, and ever-changing startup environment. We are currently remote first and will always embrace work from home culture, although we may have some more offices in the future. Candidates should be excited about the future potential of blockchain, but no prior experience is required.