Every day, tens of millions of people come to Roblox to explore, create, play, learn, and connect with friends in 3D immersive digital experiences– all created by our global community of developers and creators.
At Roblox, we’re building the tools and platform that empower our community to bring any experience that they can imagine to life. Our vision is to reimagine the way people come together, from anywhere in the world, and on any device. We’re on a mission to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and looking for amazing talent to help us get there.
A career at Roblox means you’ll be working to shape the future of human interaction, solving unique technical challenges at scale, and helping to create safer, more civil shared experiences for everyone.
As a Build Engineer on the Engine Foundation team within our Engine group, you will have an immediate impact on the building blocks of Roblox itself. You will manage the build processes of a very complex application that empowers our global community of 2M+ developers to push the boundaries of interactive gaming. Your work will touch every part of our build and automation systems, from the internal quality of life improvement tooling to the optimization of the compilation process itself. If you enjoy working on the latest C++ and automation software alongside experienced and passionate engineers, you will be right at home on our growing game engine team. You will report to the Engineering Manager of the Engine Core Systems Team.
- Develop the build system for the Roblox game engine, which will power the experiences of millions of users on the Roblox platform
- Instrument and reduce build times for the Game Engine, together with other software engineers
- Automate existing workflows on the Game Engine team, using tools like GitHub actions or TeamCity
- Work on every application Roblox develops, from mobile phone clients to cloud-based servers
- Manage your work and take ownership of projects throughout their full lifecycles
- 5+ years of experience with the following:
- Game consoles
- Mobile phones
- Git or similarly distributed source control systems.
- C++ compiler tooling: MSVC, Clang/LLVM, or GCC
- Meta build systems: Cmake, Bazel, Nant, or meson.
- Passionate: You love improving the efficiency of engineering teams, and you enjoy improving existing tools and authoring new ones
- Service-oriented: You enjoy in helping others makes a day fantastic for you
- Platform-knowledgeable: You can jump with ease between Windows, OS X, Linux, Android, iOS, and other platforms
- Responsible: You create systems that work and keep on working reliably. You are complete in your designs, rigorous in handling potential failure cases, and knowledgeable in automated testing
- Curious: You are keen to grow, and stay up-to-date on technology developments
- Programming language multilingual: You have worked with C++ before, but you are familiar with many others (Rust, Python, Lua, C#), and could build expertise quickly
- Experienced: You have used CMake, MSBuild, Xcode, or other related tools. You understand how they work and are comfortable working on scripts written for these tools. You understand how the C++ build process works and have ideas on how to reduce build times
- Game Engine Experience: You are familiar with the inner working of game engines, especially from a low-level systems perspective, and how they all come together to deliver exciting experiences for our users.
For roles that are based at our headquarters in San Mateo, CA: The starting base pay for this position is as shown below. The actual base pay is dependent upon a variety of job-related factors such as professional background, training, work experience, location, business needs and market demand. Therefore, in some circumstances, the actual salary could fall outside of this expected range. This pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. All full-time employees are also eligible for equity compensation and for benefits.
Annual Salary Range
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.