Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
Please note this role can only be remote within Ontario, British Colombia or Alberta.
About the role
Do you get excited by cloud technologies? We are looking for talented individuals to contribute to our cross-functional environment by drawing on a combination of cloud engineering principles and operational knowledge to support our production systems.
Our Reliability Engineering team is passionate about building reliable and efficient infrastructure. We do this by building services that help make the Xero platform more available, sustainable, efficient, secure and scalable.
As the Principal Engineer, you'll help engineering teams to deliver better software to Xero's customers faster. You'll regard engineering teams as your customers, and test, measure and learn how best to provide them value. You will champion and drive engineering principles and contribute to industry-wide practice improvement.
This is an opportunity to set the standard for engineering and operational excellence at Xero and educate teams on what those standards are, how to recognize them and how to reach them along with explaining and promoting world-class engineering at Xero.
What you'll do
- Work to understand the operational challenges of teams across Xero and contribute your expertise to delivering and refining strategy within your group.
- Have a handle on roadmaps and upcoming technology challenges, guiding teams to navigate them successfully.
- Work closely with senior engineers to develop their skills and increase their value to their teams.
- Seek out and quantify cross-cutting problems that hinder development teams' ability to deliver and operate software successfully.
- Identify and interpret external research and practices to help guide Xero’s engineering practices.
- Lead efforts to deliver solutions to those problems with product development teams
What you'll bring
- A track record of innovating and delivering technology at scale.
- Extensive experience in operating complex technology systems in production.
- Proven experience in operating at a senior technical level.
- A growth mindset.
- An understanding that competency is not fixed but is enhanced through dedication and hard work.
- Great communication skills, and the ability to listen and observe in detail to build a real understanding.
If you are ready to take on a new challenge in a fast-paced organization where the sky's the limit we want to hear from you!
At Xero, we are empowered to bring our ‘whole self’ to work. Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate. We care about learning together and celebrate our teams’ continuous improvement and career development.
Want to read more about inclusivity at Xero? Learn a little more about it here
We offer a great remuneration package, including compelling benefits and perks, like Xero shares and great parental leave policies. We also support flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. Our Canadian Xero family includes Hubdoc and TaxCycle and we have offices in Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver. From the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset. Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for this role and Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.