Every day, tens of millions of people come to Roblox to explore, create, play, learn, and connect with friends in 3D immersive digital experiences– all created by our global community of developers and creators.
At Roblox, we’re building the tools and platform that empower our community to bring any experience that they can imagine to life. Our vision is to reimagine the way people come together, from anywhere in the world, and on any device. We’re on a mission to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and looking for amazing talent to help us get there.
A career at Roblox means you’ll be working to shape the future of human interaction, solving unique technical challenges at scale, and helping to create safer, more civil shared experiences for everyone.
The Roblox Avatar defines the identity of a Roblox player and is one of the axes around which the Roblox Metaverse construct is built. As an engineering leader on the Avatar Movement team you will lead technical strategy and implementation to build a movement system that reimagines character animation. You will report to the Engineering Manager for Avatar Movement.
- Provide technical leadership for the architecture of the Avatar Movement system
- Build technical strategy for a thoughtful long view and deliver it in incremental milestones that maintain backwards compatibility without sacrificing wide adoption.
- Write code for the most significant and complex components of the architecture
- Work with multiple engineering teams on defining & integrating into long-view architecture on the Roblox platform,
- Communicate technical vision, strategy, and implementation details to team and execs.
- Become an expert about the Roblox Avatar data model, core engine functionality, performance, and physics.
- Raise the engineering quality bar of the team through best practices, mentoring, and better planning.
- 10+ Years of experience with 2+ years leading a team as a tech lead
- A Bachelor's degree or higher in a related CG field.
- C++ skills with experience working on large code bases. System design skills. Experience developing large production realtime systems.
- Experience designing and building modern real-time animation systems or equivalent. Knowledgeable about animation, graphics, physics, and machine learning.
- Comfortability collaborating with engineers across teams and engaging with product managers and design to achieve desired outcomes. You can evaluate risk and raise concerns early, with proper risk management & mitigation plans.
- Strength in leading multiple related projects: focusing on the higher level technical direction across multiple simultaneous projects to ensure architecture supports all important and complex needs.
- Experience delivering great customer experience, with a focus on driving improvements in simplicity, scale, and intent-driven control.
- A creative and strategic approach to solving hard problems and driving new tools and functionality
For roles that are based at our headquarters in San Mateo, CA: The starting base pay for this position is as shown below. The actual base pay is dependent upon a variety of job-related factors such as professional background, training, work experience, location, business needs and market demand. Therefore, in some circumstances, the actual salary could fall outside of this expected range. This pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. All full-time employees are also eligible for equity compensation and for benefits.
Annual Salary Range
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.