Atomic is a venture fund that founds companies. Founded in 2012, we believe that disruptive innovation is most successfully achieved by pairing innovative ideas with business discipline, and that building those ideas into businesses is not something that can be outsourced. We are builders who create and operate the next generation of great companies.
Atomic is hiring an Opitcal Engineer for one of our pre-launch portfolio companies in the Solar space. In this role you will help take a solar product to market, reporting directly to the CEO/Co-Founder.
This role is based onsite in Miami, Florida.
What You Have:
- 3+ years experience maturing optical systems designs from proof of concept to production
- Experience with designing custom lenses and optical subsystems with ray tracing software, including lens elements, multi-lens systems, and other optical components.
- Experience with establishing optical engineering specifications, including key performance metrics, optical manufacturing tolerances, and test requirements for optical subsystems and components.
- Experience working in a lab environment with optical systems and lasers.
- Experience with hands-on assembly, alignment, integration, and testing of optical components and optical systems.
- Experience in optical tolerance analysis, including mechanical positional tolerances and defining lens manufacturing tolerances.
- Experience in one or more optical modeling tools, such as MATLAB, Python, COMSOL, or optical system design and polarization ray tracing tools of TracePro, FRED, CODE V, ZEMAX, or other ray tracing software
- Experience with programming software such as C++ and/or Python
- Design experience for medical or military or other similar harsh environments
- Working knowledge with diverse optical devices and components: objectives, collimation and relay optics, fibers, cameras and detectors.
- Hands-on laboratory skills in setting up, testing, validating, and troubleshooting optical, and opto-mechanical subsystems
- Experience with Test Equipment (Power Supplies, Oscilloscopes, Function Generators, DACs)
- Ability to read and generate simple CAD drawings
- Ability to use Engineering Development and Test Tools
- Must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- BS, MS or Ph.D. in CS, applied math, optics, physics, electrical or mechanical engineering or related fields, with 3+ years of industry experience, or equivalent work experience
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you’re excited about this role, but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply.
Atomic is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law. Atomic considers all qualified applicants in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.