Hinge Health is building the world’s most patient-centered Digital Musculoskeletal (MSK) Clinic™. It is now the leading Digital MSK Clinic, used by four in five employers and 90% of health plans with a digital MSK solution. Hinge Health reduces MSK pain, surgeries, and opioid use by pairing advanced wearable sensors and computer vision technology with a comprehensive clinical care team of physical therapists, physicians, and board-certified health coaches.
Hinge Health’s HingeConnect integrates with 750,000+ in-person providers and enables real-time interventions for elective MSK surgeries, driving proven medical claims reduction. Available to millions of members, Hinge Health is widely trusted by leading organizations, including Land O’Lakes, L.L. Bean, Salesforce, Self-Insured Schools of California, Southern Company, State of New Jersey, US Foods, and Verizon.
To Learn more about our company & culture please visit:
Summary of the role:
We’re looking for a detail oriented and technically proficient individual to join us in maturing the Product Security group within the Security team. This function is growing, and you will have an opportunity to help shape the group's direction and grow with it.
Security Engineers work directly with our Product and Engineering teams to integrate security into the entire Software Development Life Cycle. This includes, working with Product Managers on the design of new or changing features that affect security controls, working with developers on secure methods to implement those features, and working with the infrastructure team to design and deploy a secure platform to run Hinge Health applications.
They are expected to proactively identify, assess, advise and assist in the prioritization and remediation of source code security vulnerabilities. Security Engineers are expected to do so using multiple methods and tools including but not limited to manual penetration testing, outputs from automated security scanning tools including Software Composition Analysis, Static Application Security Testing, Dynamic Application Security Testing, and the findings from third-party application penetration tests.
Security Engineers also work with the Security Operations and Infrastructure teams to deploy and maintain security tools within the Hinge Health environment and assist in the tuning of these tools. Security Engineers may also advise or implement the proper security controls on cloud platforms as required to meet security and compliance standards.
Security Engineers will be part of the incident response team as subject matter experts as needed. They may also be called upon as subject matter experts to assist other teams with third party security assessment requests.
Description of an ideal candidate:
The ideal candidate will have experience securing, hardening, and identifying vulnerabilities in web applications, RESTful APIs, and mobile applications (iOS and Android) in a cloud hosted microservice environment. We are looking for an individual who can take a risk-based approach to prioritizing the various aspects of a successful product security program. They should be ready to independently jump in to ask questions and understand the environment and identify potential issues while balancing their findings based on risk and company priorities.
The ideal candidate will also have experience implementing and interpreting the results of automated security scans using SCA, SAST and DAST tools and in performing security assessments and penetration tests of web applications and API endpoints and mobile applications They will also have experience assessing the security of cloud(IaaS) infrastructure, ideally including interpreting automated static scans of Infrastructure as Code source.
They should be enthusiastic about working to help improve all aspects of the Software Development Life Cycle and working with product managers to create a secure and delightful experience for Hinge Health customers.
WHAT YOU’LL ACCOMPLISH
- Implement automated security scanning tools and perform manual security assessments including source code review to harden Hinge Health web applications and API microservices.
- Enable the product teams to create secure by design product features and services by working alongside product managers and engineers during the design phase of projects.
- Coordinate third party security assessments and penetration tests of Hinge Health web applications, API endpoints, and mobile applications, including interpretation of results and verification of remediations.
- Contribute to the improvement of Software Development Life Cycle management policies, procedures, and standards.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Automated Security Testing: Ability to configure and automate security scans as part of the CI/CD process, interpret the results and work directly with engineers on prioritization and remediation.
- Secure Coding Practices: Ability to examine source code in multiple languages to evaluate controls. Be able to identify common coding and design vulnerabilities. Deep understanding of OWASP Top 10 and other common security flaws.
- Communication: Ability to partner with engineers and product managers to implement security by design.
- Judgment: Ability to assess the risk of vulnerabilities, tradeoffs in designs, etc. to categorize and prioritize remediation work.
- Incident Handling: Be able to work as a subject matter expert in the security controls, internal communications, and infrastructure of Hinge Health applications during security incidents.
- Proactive: Enjoys proactively, asking questions and examining systems and processes for possible flaws and reaching out to relevant teams to identify and verify vulnerabilities that may not have been found by automated scanning and schedule manual reviews.
- Experience securing applications in Health Care, securing ePHI and HIPAA/HITECH regulations.
- Familiarity with HITRUST CSF and NIST control frameworks.
- Experience in Threat Modeling
- Experience performing security assessments and secure design of hardware and firmware of medical devices communicating over Bluetooth
- Experience with any of the following, deploying web based services on AWS infrastructure, Kubernetes, Typescript, ReactNative, Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, IaC using Terraform.
WHAT YOU’LL LOVE ABOUT US
- Competitive compensation with meaningful equity
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance (We cover 100% of your premium and 75% for your dependents)
- Flexible PTO
- FSA/HSA accounts
- Family & fertility benefit through Maven Clinic
- 401K match
- 3 months paid parental leave
- Professional Development budget
- Quarterly lifestyle benefit to use towards WFH equipment & fitness
- Generous mental health stipend
- Work from home policy
- Opportunity to join a fantastically talented, diverse, and passionate team at a pivotal time in the company’s lifecycle
Pursuant to State Fair Pay Act, below is a summary of compensation elements for this role at the company if based in the following locations:
Colorado Salary Range: $134,400 - $201,600
New York Salary Range: $134,400 - $201,600
New York Salary City Range: $160,000 - $240,000
We want to make you aware that there continues to be a significant increase in phishing attempts across all industries where fraudsters are impersonating real HR employees and sending fictitious job offers to applications in a scheme to obtain sensitive information.
Please note that we will never ask for your financial information at any part of the interview process including the post-offer stage, and will only correspond through @hingehealth.com domain email addresses.
If you encounter any suspicious activity, we recommend you cease all communication with the individual and consider reporting them to the US FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center.
If you would like to verify the legitimacy of an email you received from our recruiting team, please forward it to [email protected].
If you're interested - we'd love to hear from you. No recruiters, please.
Hinge Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We make employment decisions without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability status, pregnancy, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
Hinge Health is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you feel you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let us know by reaching out to your Recruiter and we'll work with our accommodations team to evaluate your request.
We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.