Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use cloud based platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and that is core to driving Xero’s mission. Supporting a culture of inclusion is something we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. A part of that is to support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. So, from the moment you begin your journey with Xero, we will constantly strive to ensure you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
About the role
We're looking for Lead Engineers to join a group that owns several of Xero’s core platforms. You will contribute technical expertise and leadership as we scale our help and support for teams making changes in our systems, plan and advise on modernisation efforts, and navigate our way into a future that will allow Xero to grow even faster than it is now.
You’ll model the standard for engineering excellence at Xero, supporting your team to grow their technical capability and improve development practices.
You’ll contribute to the technical direction of the product group, helping grow our cross functional environment by identifying technical gaps, promoting capability growth, and championing &demonstrating modern principles and practices.
We would love to talk to you if:
- You prefer to work collaboratively, from coding with your peers to wider team support such as product owners, people leads, design, etc.
- You need to work with a team to build software and also have fun together.
- You are passionate about producing high quality software using best practices and appropriate design patterns.
- You take ownership and use metrics and feedback to guide technical priorities and improvements.
- You contribute to the creation of team goals and work with a focus on helping your team succeed.
- You have a passion to learn, grow and give back to your team by coaching and mentoring through your experiences.
- You love to experiment, try out new ideas or concepts, take the journey with the team to try out new ways of working.
What you’ll bring with you:
- Experience in maintaining and improving in place medium/ large .NET codebases would be an advantage
- Experience in proactive coaching and mentoring of engineers to grow their technical capability.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong collaborative leadership style to facilitate engineering change across teams.
- Ability to lead or facilitate discussions on application design.
- Ability to contribute to discussions around new standards and revisions to existing ones.
- Expertise in tracking engineering performance and operational health metrics.
- Expertise in microservices or distributed systems architecture.
- Experience in reviewing teams codebases, aiming to maintain high standards for security, testability, and ability to make changes easily.
- Experience in leading discussions and implementation for scaling products.
- Ability to collaborate with product, design and architecture to influence prioritisation and planning.
Why you should become a Xero
It’s a diverse and inclusive environment, with people who will respect, challenge, support and mentor you to do the best work of your life. We’re a place where innovation and change are not only encouraged but also celebrated. We value our people and want them to enjoy and take pride in their work.
We’re very supportive of flexible working arrangements and offer a competitive remuneration package including shares and life insurance, in addition to your base salary. We have a culture we’re proud of. Whether you're after a workplace with a social vibe, or a workplace which understands your family is priority - Xero is all of that and more.
You can choose to perform this role:
In one of our #beautiful offices Auckland or Wellington
Flexibly, through a hybrid of in office and remote working styles
At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset. Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for a role at Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.