Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use cloud based platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and that is core to driving Xero’s mission. Supporting a culture of inclusion is something we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. A part of that is to support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. So, from the moment you begin your journey with Xero, we will constantly strive to ensure you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
About the team
In the Quality Engineering enablement team, it’s our mission to enable Xero to rapidly deliver quality products. We do that by working alongside engineering teams to ensure they understand what great quality engineering looks like; and have the knowledge, skills and tools required to bring that to life.
We’re on the lookout for a Lead Engineer to join our tight knit team and be a key representative for quality engineering needs in the burgeoning work to modernise our development and test environment platforms - ensuring our teams can easily create the ideal conditions and data to validate their changes.
You’ll be an experienced engineer with a passion for quality, someone who can identify both problems and opportunities, who is comfortable taking the initiative, and who can inspire teams to embrace continuous improvement in their quality engineering practices.
What you'll do:
- Create software - Guide technical design to ensure implementation of architecture principles and good engineering practice. Identify the technical blockers and waste that slow down the team.
- Work with engineering leadership and delivery teams to identify technical capabilities that need to be grown. Maintain in-depth system knowledge across all system boundaries relating to the team’s components as well as hands-on development expertise.
- Test software - Guide the quality engineering practices for teams you work with, identifying and resolving challenges to ensure processes and tools are optimised for their context and engineers have the required knowledge and skills. Contribute to and champion Xero’s quality strategy and standards.
- Resolve issues - Recognise and solve for common patterns of failure in the team’s delivery practices, preventing future issues by improving skills, processes or tooling. Measure the cost or value of issues, and often lead incident responses and post-mortems.
- Engineering standards & frameworks - Contribute to Xero's engineering standards and frameworks. Work closely with engineering leadership to apply standards to software and delivery processes.
- Continuous improvement - Proactively maintain, grow and share knowledge of development technologies used in the development of Xero’s software applications.
- Deliver infrastructure in a production environment - Champion automation of delivery processes and ensure deployment pipelines are fit for purpose. Coach and support engineers to ensure all software is running as expected and proactively work to prevent customer facing problems.
- Modern software and delivery practices - Be a proactive champion of agile and delivery practices who coaches and develops others in this space in order to ensure a consistent approach to ways of working.
- Recruitment - Participate in interviews and recruitment processes.
Why work at Xero?
Aside from the typical perks you’d expect from a tech company (games rooms, free soft drinks, barista coffee, fresh fruit, sports teams and amazing offices), one of the best things about Xero is our people. You’ll join an inclusive, diverse product team with talented developers from all over the globe.
We support many types of flexible working arrangements like condensed and part-time, which allows you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package which includes shares and life insurance in addition to your base salary plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being.
Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology too. Our culture is one we’re immensely proud of - from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome. We have just moved in to our brand new purpose built office.
Xero is continuing to grow and so are the opportunities to join us!
You can choose to perform this role:
-In one of our #beautiful offices (Wellington, Auckland or the Hawkes Bay)
-Flexibly, through a hybrid of in office and remote working styles
As a permanent remote worker at Xero we want to ensure you are getting the same #beautiful employee experience as our in-office Xero’s. Permanent remote Xero’s will benefit from a virtual ergonomic work assessment and funding to assist with the improvement of your at home work setup. You are part of our #team and we want to see you thrive!
At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset. Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for a role at Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.