Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the role
We are on the lookout for a Lead Engineer to join Platform Engineering, which is part of the wider Technology group. Platform Engineering is responsible for building and maintaining critical applications and services consumed throughout Xero globally. These services are central to keeping Xero online and scale to millions of customers.
You’ll work in a delivery pod of engineers, and collaborate with other Xeros to help create and deliver beautiful software to our customers, faster. You’ll model the standard for engineering excellence at Xero, supporting your team to grow their technical capability and improve development practices.
You’ll contribute to the technical direction of the product group, helping grow our cross functional environment by identifying technical gaps, promoting capability growth, and championing & demonstrating modern principles and practices.
What you'll do:
- Guide technical design to ensure implementation of architecture principles and good engineering practice.
- Maintain in-depth system knowledge across all system boundaries relating to the team’s components as well as hands-on development expertise.
- Guide the quality engineering practices for your team, identifying and resolving challenges to ensure processes and tools are optimised for their context and engineers have the required knowledge and skills.
- Recognise and solve for common patterns of failure in the team’s delivery practices, preventing future issues by improving skills, processes or tooling.
- Contribute to Xero's engineering standards and frameworks.
- Champion automation of delivery processes and ensure deployment pipelines are fit for purpose and in line with Xero best practices.
- Be a proactive champion of agile and delivery practices who coaches and develops others in this space in order to ensure a consistent approach to ways of working.
- Participate in interviews and recruitment processes.
What you'll bring with you:
- Ablility to experiment with new languages and tooling.
- Ability to make code design decisions for all teams’ products - and to recognise when these decisions are best left to the team.
- Experience in auditing teams codebases, aiming to maintain high standards for security, testability, and ability to make changes easily.
- Expertise in distributed systems architecture.
- Ability to lead or facilitate discussions on application design.
- Experience in leading discussions and implementation for scaling products to 2-10 times the number of users.
- Experience in contributing to discussions around new standards and revisions to existing ones.
- Experience in coaching and mentoring engineers across multiple disciplines.
- A learning mindset, highly motivated to improve identified strengths and growth areas
Why you should join Xero
Xero is continuing to grow and so are the opportunities to join us! You can choose to perform this role:
- In one of our #beautiful NZ offices
- Flexibly, through a hybrid of in office and remote working styles
- Permanently remote from anywhere in NZ
Aside from the typical perks you’d expect from a tech company (games rooms, free soft drinks, barista coffee, fresh fruit, sports teams and amazing offices), one of the best things about Xero is our people. You’ll join an inclusive, diverse product team with talented engineers from all over the globe.
We support many types of flexible working arrangements, which allows you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package which includes shares and life insurance in addition to your base salary plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset.
Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for this role and Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.