Smart is a rapidly-growing fintech company transforming the retirement industry for the better. We’re changing the way people interact with their retirement savings using our award-winning platform which is powered by our in house technology. We’ve gone from a small start-up to a global industry-leader with over £2bn in assets under management. Join us to transform retirement, savings and financial well-being, across all generations, around the world.
Smart is growing its technology team and as part of our growth, we are looking to hire Site Reliability and Infrastructure Engineers to help us dramatically scale our operations. Are you an opinionated, fast moving engineer with prior SRE, systems or infrastructure engineering experience looking to make your dent in the universe? Smart could be your chance!
As part of our growth, we are now looking to hire a Senior Infrastructure Engineer to own and extend our internal platforms to support the next generation scaling requirements. This position includes some limited out of hours on-call after your initial training period, and will be supported by the rest of the engineering team. We cherish work-life balance here at Smart, so this support will be reasonable and compensated.
- Own and be accountable for the reliability, security and deployment of the platform infrastructure.
- Provide support and input to the teams running services on top of that infrastructure.
- Design and document standards, processes, and procedures; as well as update documentation as systems change.
- Build, maintain, & support our AWS, Kubernetes and Heroku (legacy) environments.
- Reduce manual work (toil) for the technology team -- yourself included! - by implementing appropriate solutions or processes as required.
- Design & implement improved data security strategies for our platform.
- Own & implement appropriate monitoring & alerting as we move to a 24/7/365 platform.
- Define Service Level Objectives for the Smart Platform, including working with other departments to define appropriate availability targets.
- Proven track record of supporting web platforms (e.g. websites or API’s) in production at scale.
- Experience in cloud infrastructure, design, deployment, and support
- Experience defining metrics to monitor web platforms, and alerting on those metrics.
- Experience with Systems and network security in a cloud environment.
- Experience with incident response and on-call rotations.
- Experience with continuous delivery and zero-downtime deployments.
- Comfortable with command-line tools and environments. Linux/Unix experience is preferred.
- Experience with configuration management tools like Terraform or Ansible
- Ability to solve complex problems, and deliver results.
- Ability to define and document standards, via runbooks, design documents, RFCs, etc.
Engineering at Smart
At Smart, we build working software that always works - and we do it fast! We’ve managed to thread the needle between speed and reliability, with double digit daily deploys into production and an exceptionally low rate of failure. Smart is disrupting an industry that has been particularly slow to adopt new technology. As a tech company (in culture, tools, and people) that does pensions, we’re uniquely positioned to shake things up!
We have the benefit of having adopted many engineering best practices from day 1. Our approach to code is simple: keep it small, clean, and ensure it has thorough test coverage. We don't ship code just to hit a deadline. Pensions are a long game. We're handling peoples retirement income, so the stability, security and accuracy of our platform is everything. But we also recognise that being able to deliver change and innovation at pace are our secret sauce!
Some interesting notes on the way we work:
- Tech check! We use AWS, GitHub, Semaphore CI, Datadog, Docker, and Kubernetes, to name a few.
- We are able to maintain at least 96% test coverage of our application through collaboration and strong code review practices, meaning we can focus on features rather than bug fixing.
- Our team is passionate about OOP, TDD and DDD.
- We ship software continuously, releasing new features to production up to 30 times a day.
- We follow Agile practices and have a strong DevOps culture in place.
- We have great internal mobility, meaning that we are able to give you exposure to the aspects that you would like to improve on or learn about. Progression and development are key, and we really invest in education!
- We believe in diversity and inclusion, in and out. We have a diverse engineering workforce and over 80% of our Engineering team volunteered their time to be coaches at the recent Rails Girls London event – a free workshop aimed at making technology more approachable for women.
We empower our engineers to propose new ideas. For instance, we run hackathons where in 24 hours anyone can build and present new ways of thinking to the senior management team – most of these ideas wind up being implemented and put into production!
At Smart, we're a diverse team, made up of people from different backgrounds, experiences and skills. Our goal is to build great products to help people plan for their financial futures. We’re constantly developing new ideas to help people look after their pension schemes, in the UK and abroad. We’ve grown to a team of over 500 talented people, all dedicated to creating the best experience for our customers. Recently we made it onto Great Places to Work UK's Best Workplaces 2020 for medium-sized companies! If you think you can help us build a smarter future, come and work with us.
Our Recruitment Data Policy is here. Please click on the link if you have any questions about how we store your data or to know your rights.
- £500 personal training budget to spend on books, courses, conferences or training materials to help you develop.
- Health Insurance (via EquipsMe) including Dental, Eyecare and Employee Assistance Program.
- Death in Service via Unum (4 x Base Salary).
- Season ticket loans.
- 5 week sabbatical after 5 years.
- 25 days holiday per year plus bank holidays. 1 extra day holiday after 2 years and then every year up to a max of 30 days holiday.
- Enhanced maternity and paternity (maternity - 6 months fully paid / paternity - 3 weeks fully paid).
- Access to PerkBox.
- Access to Smart Rewards.
- Pension scheme via salary sacrifice. Smart will match your contributions up to 5% of your salary.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- Smart employees also enjoy a 50% discount on orders from our sister company Arena Flowers, Britain's most ethical florist. They offer unique hand-tied bouquets, luxury flowers, letterbox flowers, plants and gifts to spend on friends and loved ones or even for yourself.