Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
The Head of Engineering (HoE) leads a team of 5-6 pods, focused on identity and authorisation services across every division within Xero. With support from the product leads and principal engineers and responsible for shaping overall strategy for the portfolio, delivery of our roadmaps, technical operational concerns including supplier and SaaS vendor management, budget, and people development.
The Identity and Authorisation teams at Xero are a critical part of every customers journey . We exist to ensure all our customers have safe and low friction access to all products and services. We ensure customers, and services acting on their behalf, have the right level access to our product features while also providing internal product teams with the products and tools to integrate with identity and authorisation as a platform. We run mission critical services for Xero, play a key role in our security and compliance initiatives and strive for best experience for customers.
The team is spread across NZ and AU, with a small footprint in North America. The role is open to Au or NZ, with a preference for immediate start.
What you'll do
- You will lead multiple portfolio domains and be responsible for ensuring your teams are aligned to Xero’s product and engineering strategic objectives and priorities.
- Collaborate with the General Manager (GM) of Engineering (this includes specialist GMs) to proactively manage the risk of delivery and drive consistency in the way we deliver.
- Ensure your team is aware and aligned with the Xero engineering standards, compliance and best practices ensuring your teams are aligned to Xero’s product and engineering strategic objectives and priorities.
- Ensure that the performance of your team is actively measured and monitored, with issues identified as quickly as possible and actively managed through to resolution.
- Working with your engineering leaders to ensure that the right training and support is provided to teams to balance working styles, experience, capability, well being and career aspirations.
What you'll bring with you
- Experience of managing teams of people in product or technology companies. Ideally experienced being a leader of leaders.
- Proven ability to navigate areas of conflict in an open, positive and proactive way.
- Proven ability to plan and implement strategic change, while getting buy-in from stakeholders.
- Proven ability of thought leadership and true global perspective.
- Excellent grasp of modern software and engineering practices.
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. Our goal is to make sure you feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset. Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for this role and Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.