A better planet with every search - Ecosia
, the search engine that plants trees, is one of the world's largest social businesses and the first B Corporation
in Germany. As part of our mission to cultivate a more environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable world, we are planting and protecting forests by enabling people to channel their everyday actions into environmental good. So far our 20+ million users have planted over 160 million trees. Our reach is expanding as we continue to grow and plant native and biodiverse trees worldwide!
We are looking for a Software Engineer (all genders) with expertise in frontend software development to join us remotely or in our office in Berlin. We are growing and need support in our team’s mission to scale our search engine and make more people climate active!
As an engineer in our Core Search team, you will improve our search experience, e.g., results page & navigation, as well as build new ways to search for images & videos. Day-to-day, you will dive deep on our frontend tech stack, solving problems from the UI down to the server-side. Together with our Engineering community, you will identify opportunities to innovate on our frontend tech stack.
Do you want to become part of a fun team and shape a product used by millions of users every day and help regenerate our ecosystem? Come join us!
YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE AN IMPACT:
- Build, test, and deploy the core frontend search experience of Ecosia (client and server-side).
- Contribute to the development of new features in our cross-functional product team.
- Solve complex technical problems, e.g., how to make Ecosia the fastest search engine.
- Support your team members in backend-focused work-streams, if you are interested.
- Advance our engineering practices for frontend and application security related topics.
- Empower your peers to gain deeper technical knowledge on frontend technologies.
- Strengthen our collaborative and inclusive culture, in alignment with our core values and ways of working.
YOUR AREAS OF KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERTISE:
- Hands-on experience in Vue.js or NuxtJS, or equivalent (e.g. React).
- Proficiency in improving the performance or security of frontend applications.
- Eagerness to dive deep technically and grow professionally.
- You can communicate well written and verbally in English (German not required).
We recognize that you may need further development in some areas, and we encourage you to apply even if your profile does not meet all of the requirements for the role: we encourage and support growth and development for everyone.
Our hiring process consists of 5 steps:
1) Quick first call with our recruiter
2) A “take-home” technical assignment
3) Technical conversation with 2 of your potential future colleagues
4) Pair programming session extending the previous assignment
5) Final, non-technical interview
(By default, all steps are done remotely.)
About our technology stack:
Backend: Go-lang or Python services using REST and gRPC
Infrastructure: Cloudflare, AWS, Kubernetes (EKS), and Terraform
Tooling: Prometheus and Grafana for monitoring, Github and CircleCI for our CI/CD
We don’t expect you to have experience with all of the above but if you’re curious to learn and pair across these technologies this could be a good match! You can check our Tech radar
for more details.
The salary range for the role
€62,000 - €76,000
- What if your job made a real difference in the climate crisis? Join Ecosia and support planting millions of trees where people and ecosystems need them most.
- We offer you the opportunity to balance work with other parts of your life. (Flexible working hours, more vacation days than the law requires (30 days/year on a five-day week), two no-meeting days, remote work options).
- Moving to Berlin for the first time? We welcome everyone and offer relocation support and visa/work-permit assistance to new employees and their loved ones coming from abroad and within Germany.
- We are a team of more than 25 nationalities that includes people from different sexual orientations, ages, races, physical/mental abilities, child/pet/plant parents non-traditional backgrounds.
- We enable you to live sustainably through our green benefits, such as subsidized public transport cards, bike inspection, green electricity allowance, etc.
- We support your professional growth through monthly learning days, hack days, online and physical library, 2000€ development allowance per year, continuous feedback, etc.
If you’re living with a disability, illness, and/or neurodiversity or are primary caregivers, feel free to let us know how we can adjust and support your application process. For instance, we can provide different tools, interview formats, or more time for assignments.