Atomic is the venture studio that co-founds companies by pairing founders with the best ideas, teams, and resources, and funding those with the most potential. When entrepreneurs co-found with Atomic, they team up with an experienced group of operators who have started dozens of companies and created billions of dollars in enterprise value. Industry disruptors like Bungalow, Found, Hims and Hers, Homebound, OpenStore, and Replicant all started at Atomic along with dozens more. Atomic was founded in 2012 by serial entrepreneur Jack Abraham and is headquartered in Miami and San Francisco with a distributed team across North America.
We're a pre-launch company backed by Atomic VC, building a tech-enabled platform that serves the unique needs of seniors facing life-changing surgeries by helping them maximize their quality of life in our high-cost, often overwhelming healthcare system.
We’re seeking a founding engineer to join our team as our first full-time engineering hire.
As our founding engineer, you'll help us deliver life-changing software at start-up speed. With a test-and-learn mindset, you’ll architect solutions that are continuously improved through direct user feedback. Working directly with our founders, you'll lead our engineering efforts to develop software that improves outcomes for older adults and empowers the providers who care for them.
This is a rare opportunity to not only shape the technical strategy of a mission-driven startup, but to experience the direct impact of your work on a daily basis.
What You'll Do:
- In your first six months on the job you’ll have:
- Understood the company’s vision, goals, business model, and the challenges that our patients and care team face.
- Worked closely with our pilot partners, clinicians, and patients to solve their problems through elegant technical solutions.
- Defined the medium-term technical strategy with a keen focus on incorporating business needs, user feedback, and the inherent flexibility required in an early stage-startup.
- Led the release of the minimum viable product by working throughout the stack - backend, frontend, and infrastructure, with an emphasis on backend development.
- Developed a data engineering strategy to synthesize data from disparate sources into an analysis ready state.
- Made key improvements to our underlying infrastructure, and laid out the medium term architecture roadmap.
- Identified practical use cases to take advantage of recent breakthroughs in Large Language Models (LLMs) and related technology as a first principle.
- Helped recruit additional technical team members to form a world-class, collaborative team.
- Established technical culture by setting best practices and norms.
- Led the release of subsequent versions of the product, with a focus on third-party data integrations, to unblock new business and enable growth.
What You Have:
- 5+ yrs of total full time software development experience; including 4+ yrs of building back-end web technologies, and 2+ years with front-end web applications.
- Experience with scripting languages (ex. Python) and automation tools.
- Familiarity with cloud-based computing platforms (ex. AWS, Google Cloud).
- Experience with multiple database management systems.
- Experience working in regulated spaces that require a security-first approach to ensuring the integrity of Protected Health Information (PHI).
- Strong problem-solving, debugging, and analytical skills with great attention to detail.
What Would Be Great To Have:
- 0->1 startup experience, ideally with a Pre-seed / Seed / Series A company.
- Experience using data integration products like Mirth Connect / HAPI FHIR et al.
- Familiarity with healthcare data standards such as HL7 v2.x, and FHIR.
- Direct experience developing and deploying Machine Learning algorithms and models in production.
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you’re excited about this role, but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply.
Atomic is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law. Atomic considers all qualified applicants in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.