About the job
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to join the Front Website team!
The Front Website team is responsible for all of Scaleway’s public websites (excluding Scaleway’s console). Currently, we have six websites under our scope.
These websites are the storefront of our company. We want our visitors to find the right information easily and have an accurate glimpse of what Scaleway has to offer. Our goal is to strengthen Scaleway’s brand with neat designs, enforce good web practices, deliver state-of-the-art navigation, and rely on data to ship meaningful features. The squad is composed of three Front-end developers, a Designer and a Product Manager.
As the Engineering Manager, you will manage both your team of engineers, and the general engineering for the team. This position is equally balanced between managerial and technical roles and skills.
You will take care of your team. You will be in charge of management tasks such as planning, following people's career, approving vacations requests, and more. An important part of the position is to improve the skills and knowledge of each member of your team by getting to know them well (strengths, limitations, and goals). Together, you will find the most efficient way of working as a team. You will also be responsible for monitoring and optimizing the velocity and delivery capacity of your team with the help of your Product Manager.
Since you’re also a developer, you will be responsible for supervising development activities. This includes making technical decisions regarding tooling, architecture, and innovation along with the team. One of your key responsibilities will be to avoid over-engineering, and always find a pragmatic approach when a technical problem arises. Indeed, managers at Scaleway usually code 50% of their time.
Finally, and perhaps most importantly, you will be the facilitator of the team, providing them with everything they need to focus on their tasks, by synchronizing with the other managers of the company.
We work in a Scrum framework where the fundamentals are: two-weeks sprint, daily stand-ups, retrospectives, etc. At the end of each sprint, we present our work during demos. Communication, peer programming, and reviews are important to us.
- As a manager, you should:
- Be open-minded and ready to adapt quickly
- Be organized
- Have a client-first mindset
- Have strong empathy
- Communicate clearly
- Have a good written and spoken English
- Understand front-end and DevOps topics
- As a developer, you should:
- Have experience with REST APIs & GraphQL
- Have experience with DevOps tools (Docker, Ansible, Gitlab CI, Github Actions)
- Have good web knowledge (SEO, a11y, HTML/CSS)
- You prefer to solve your problems with code, not dependencies.
- You are familiar with Gatsby & Strapi.
- You have already used CDN (Cloudflare) & analytics tools (Google Analytics, Google Optimize, Google Tag Manager, Segment).
- You are flexible and able to collaborate with other teams across the company.
- You have a keen eye for design and web design.
- Dealing with people is hard and you know it. You work hard so everything is smooth for your team.
- Work on all our public websites and the new one to come
- Ensure your team is united behind a common goal that is aligned with Scaleway’s strategy
- Bring your experience and share it to help the team grow
- Have a strong business vision
- Support the career development and training of the engineers in your team
- React 17 or 18, CSS-in-JS
- Jest & React Testing Library
- REST & GraphQL (Apollo, Gatsby GraphQL)
- Gatsby, Strapi
This position can be either:
- Based in our offices in Paris or Lille (France) with partial remote
- Full remote, with indays once a month where the team meet in person.
50,000 - 64,000+ EUR per year
Screening call - 30 mins with the recruiter
Manager Interview - 1 hour
Technical Interviews - 1 hour
Teams fit - 30 mins
HR Interview - 30 mins
We treat every candidate equally in our recruitment process. Even if you don't meet 100% of the job’s requirements, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you would be a good fit!
Questions about this job? Nathalie Tourbay, our Recruitment Team Lead, would be happy to answer your questions.
👉Scaleway is a #singular place and we’re looking for #singular people. If you like what you see here and you’ve got a story to tell, we’d love to hear from you.
Founded in 1999, Scaleway, the cloud of choice, helps developers and businesses to build, deploy and scale applications to any infrastructure.
Located in Paris, Amsterdam and Warsaw, Scaleway’s complete cloud ecosystem is used by 25,000+ businesses, including European startups, who choose Scaleway for its multi-AZ redundancy, smooth developer experience, carbon-neutral data centers and native tools for managing multi-cloud architectures.
With fully managed offerings for bare metal, containerization and serverless architectures, Scaleway brings choice to the world of cloud computing, offering customers the ability to choose where their customer’s data resides, to choose what architecture works best for their business, and to choose a more responsible way to scale.
We are committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, disability, age, or veteran status.