About the job
The Storage Team is a pillar of Scaleway. This team not only develops the Scaleway Elements Storage products (Block Storage and Object Storage), but also supports all the other Scaleway Elements products that rely on Storage (Instances, Database, Registry, Kubernetes and more) for proper usage. In a challenging environment, and within a team that manages hundreds of Storage servers across various regions, you will be responsible for developing, automating, and enhancing Scaleway’s Object Storage solution.
As an Engineering Manager, you will manage both your team of engineers, and the general engineering for the team. This position is equally balanced between managerial and technical roles and skills. All teams work with Agile methods, and often with Scrum. You will monitor collaborative projects via this platform.
As a manager, you will take care of your team. An important part of the position is to improve the skills and knowledge of each member of your team by getting to know them well (strengths, limitations, and goals). Together, you will find the most efficient way of working as a team. You will also be responsible for monitoring and optimizing the velocity and delivery capacity of your team with the help of your Product Manager.
On top of your daily activities within your team, you will need to interact with all of Scaleway’s teams, especially Instance, Network, Hardware, and Platform. Your goal as an EM will be to speak to the other teams and their managers to carry out your technical tasks, for instance by requesting what your team needs for its products. You need to be aware of the ins and outs of storage technologies. Your team’s main programming languages are Golang & Python. As an Engineering Manager you will also code, handle customer escalations from our Support team, and manage the infrastructure required by the product (software upgrade & reliability).
One of your key responsibilities will be to avoid over-engineering, and always find a pragmatic approach when a technical problem arises. You won’t be a cloud user, you will be a cloud builder.
- Embody the activities of Engineering within the company and within your team.
- Hire, manage, support, and develop a team of up to five engineers (career path, salary and compensation, personal knowledge and skills improvement).
- Build innovative features for our products using the latest technologies with the help of your team.
- Coordinate your team, monitor the progression of ongoing projects, organize the team’s work and sprints through rituals.
- Make suggestions to balance the team's workload between technical debt management, rollouts, and new projects.
- Strong collaboration with our Product Managers and Marketing teams in order to help your team understand the “why”, the “what”, and the “how” of a project in order to complete it as efficiently as possible.
- Be an ambassador, both up & downstream to help the team be aligned with the company objectives and make sure that the team’s voice is heard.
- Monitor and optimize your team’s velocity and its capacity to deliver quality products and services on time.
- Ease collaboration with other Engineering teams.
- Work closely with our principal engineers to deploy internal stacks within your products and guarantee that the main engineering initiatives are used within your product process and stack.
- Work on transversal initiatives within Scaleway’s Engineering Manager Guild.
- Stay grounded by coding as a “doer” with your team.
- Open minded and ready to adapt quickly
- Strong empathy
- Result-oriented and user-centric attitude
- Clear communication
- DevOps mindset
- Distributed systems
This position can be either:
- Based in our offices in Paris or Lille (France), partial/full remote is possible
- Flex Remote Internationally
60,000 - 90,000+ EUR per year
Screening call - 30 mins with the recruiter
Head of and manager Interview - 45 mins
Technical Interviews - 45 mins
HR Interview - 45 mins
Offer sent - 48 hours
We treat every candidate equally in our recruitment process. Even if you don't meet 100% of the job’s requirements, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you would be a good fit!
Questions about this job? Nathalie Tourbay, our Recruitment Team Lead, would be happy to answer your questions.
👉Scaleway is a #singular place and we’re looking for #singular people. If you like what you see here and you’ve got a story to tell, we’d love to hear from you.
Founded in 1999, Scaleway, the cloud of choice, helps developers and businesses to build, deploy and scale applications to any infrastructure.
Located in Paris, Amsterdam and Warsaw, Scaleway’s complete cloud ecosystem is used by 25,000+ businesses, including European startups, who choose Scaleway for its multi-AZ redundancy, smooth developer experience, carbon-neutral data centers and native tools for managing multi-cloud architectures.
With fully managed offerings for bare metal, containerization and serverless architectures, Scaleway brings choice to the world of cloud computing, offering customers the ability to choose where their customer’s data resides, to choose what architecture works best for their business, and to choose a more responsible way to scale.
We are committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, disability, age, or veteran status.