In the Online Payments Tribe, you’ll be part of the team supporting SumUp’s business growth by providing a scalable, secure and global Online Payments Platform which will facilitate all Card not Present (CNP) transactions - meeting the Online Payments needs of our customers and enabling them to grow.
As a team, we use Java, Quarkus, Kubernetes, Kafka, DynamoDB, SNS, SQS, RDS Aurora. We are rebuilding our platform using the latest technology and we want you to help us raise the bar and drive these changes. We believe in ‘You Build it You Run it’ engineering culture.
What you’ll do
- Lead a team of 4 engineers and help them to optimise the squad's deliveries, which as measured through business impact and customer satisfaction;
- Provide design and code review feedback to enable team autonomy and a scalable and maintainable codebase through best practices and techniques like TDD, Domain Driven Design and pair programming;
- Use regular 1:1s to manage performance and guide your team through their career development and best use of their personal and development skills;
- Influence software architecture within the team and help coordinate dependencies with other teams. Advocate for the company’s strategic vision on the wider platform;
- Embrace and promote a hands-on culture, underpinned by high levels of observability and a “You Build it You Run it” mindset.
- Engage and improve our engineering culture by leading team strengthening activities, such as offsites, hackathons, cross-team projects, and knowledge sharing sessions;
You’ll be great for this role if
- You are fluent in English and comfortable communicating with global teams;
- You have solid previous experience as a senior backend engineer using Java (preferably, 11+, minimum 8+) or Kotlin;
- You have 2+ years of experience working as a leader, giving feedback and supporting your team members' career development both remote and in-person;
- You have experience with distributed and fault-tolerant systems;
- You’re familiar with AWS, Kubernetes (user, not admin experience);
- You have a mature and business minded approach to your work.
Why you should join SumUp
- We’re a truly global team of 3200+ people from 80+ countries, spread across 4 continents;
- As an Engineering Manager, you’ll play a key role in building the team and its culture, ultimately paving the way for SumUp to be more successful;
- SulAmérica health insurance plan, partnership for mental health activities with Zenklub, dental assistance, private pension plan, Gympass, learning budget nd more.
Job Application Tip
We recognise that candidates feel they need to meet 100% of the job criteria in order to apply for a job. Please note that this is only a guide. If you don’t tick every box, it’s ok too because it means you have room to learn and develop your career at SumUp.