Our mission 🚀
Founded in 1999, Scaleway, the cloud of choice, helps developers and businesses to build, deploy and scale applications to any infrastructure. Located in Paris, Amsterdam and Warsaw, Scaleway’s complete cloud ecosystem is used by 25,000+ businesses, including European startups, who choose Scaleway for its multi-AZ redundancy, smooth developer experience, carbon-neutral data centers and native tools for managing multi-cloud architectures. With fully managed offerings for bare metal, containerization and serverless architectures, Scaleway brings choice to the world of cloud computing, offering customers the ability to choose where their customer’s data resides, to choose what architecture works best for their business, and to choose a more responsible way to scale.
Our journey 💡
We want all our actions and decisions to bring us closer to achieving our vision: building and scaling technologies that make sense to us, to our customers and their end users. Scaleway is the challenger nobody’s expecting.As our business scales, the customers and developers we serve are increasingly diverse and global. Giving them an unbeatable experience is central to our business strategy and value proposition. To better understand them, we've discovered that the best way to deliver the highest value and performance is by incorporating a well-rounded team that leverages diverse perspectives, knowledge, skills, and cross-cultural understanding.
Our values 💜
Singularity: We do it our own way.
Community: One company, one culture
Adventure: Level up if you dare, never stop innovating.
Leadership: Be the leader you want to follow.
Excellence: We want to be customers' first choice as a cloud provider.
Rock Solid: You can always count on us!
About the job
With the product manager, the engineering manager will be responsible for building a new centralized, worldwide and evolutive product catalog to support the growth of our range of products.
You will be the first developer of this new team and recruit the next developers. This team is also in charge of some tooling API such as geoIP, postal code or KYC.
As the Engineering Manager, you will manage both your team of engineers, and the general engineering for the team. This position is equally balanced between managerial and technical roles and skills.
You will manage the team : share the company vision, give them purpose, help them grow their skills, follow their career, understand their everyday life, take the pulse, support them, give them responsibilities and encourage them to take ownership.
Together, you will find the most efficient way of working as a team. You will also be responsible for optimizing the velocity and delivery capacity of your team, in a good quality. Agility and continuous delivery are essential, so that the team gets feedback continuously from clients.
As a manager, you will set goals for the team, follow their performance by setting meaningful metrics for example. You will also minimize the truck factor to increase the resiliency of the team. You will guarantee the availability of features by setting security, monitoring and alerting best practices from the beginning of the project. Globally, you will create and maintain a spirit of continuous improvement and transparency within the team and with the company.
Finally, you’re also a developer and will supervise development activities with the tech lead. This includes making technical decisions regarding tooling, architecture, and innovation along with the team. One of your key responsibilities will be to avoid over-engineering, and always find a pragmatic approach when a technical problem arises. Indeed, managers at Scaleway usually code 50% of their time.
- As a manager, you should:
- Be value oriented, instead of efforts oriented
- Encourage initiatives and take every mistake as an opportunity to improve
- Give a frame to the team
- Have a client-first mindset
- Have strong empathy and team spirit
- Be constructive
- As a developer, you should:
- Have at least 2 years of experience in back-end development
- Make no concession with the utility of tests
- Have a good understanding of the HTTP protocol and REST APIs
- Git and SQL fluency
- Be eager to learn new things every day
- Experience with micro-service ecosystems
- You have already deployed a production application on a cloud platform
- Knowledge of gRPC and Protobuf.
- Fluent in Golang or Python.
- Familiar with common DevOps tooling like Docker / CI-CD / Ansible / Gitlab CI.
- You have already worked on asynchronous workload (queue + worker).
- Have a good written and spoken English
- Help the team deliver features regularly with few bugs.
- Bring your experience and share it to help the team grow
- Encourage team ownership and accountability
- Have a strong business vision
- Support the career development and training of the engineers in your team
- Help design, develop and maintain new features on micro-services owned by the team
- Write simple, clean, coherent and well-tested code
- Take every opportunity to fight technical debt
- Carefully review the team's merge requests
- Actively animate agile rituals (daily, retrospectives, etc.)
Our Technical Stack (don’t hesitate to apply even if you only know a few)
This position can be either:
Based in our offices in Paris or Lille (France)
Compensation and Perks
Based on your profile, the salary for this role is between 60,000€ - 87,000€ per year
ThinkPad or MacBook, your choice!
Our in-office cafeteria serves daily lunches (Paris office)
Screening call - 30 mins with the recruiter
Manager Interview - 1 hour
Technical Interviews - 2 hours
Teams fit - 45 hour
HR Interview - 30 mins
On average our process lasts 2-3 weeks days and offers usually follow within 48 hours 🤞
Important note: if you don't see yourself ticking all the boxes don't hesitate to apply anyway. Don't limit yourself to a job description, you never know!