Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
About the team and role
We are responsible for building and maintaining critical applications and services consumed throughout Xero globally. These services are central to keeping Xero online and scale to millions of customers. You’ll work in a delivery pod of engineers, and collaborate with other Xeros to help create and deliver beautiful software to our customers, faster.
This opportunity is for an Engineer to join our front-end focused platform team. Our mission is to provide a reliable platform that enables product teams to seamlessly deliver front-end experiences.
Typical work will consist of developing and supporting a widely-used front-end platform which enables our product teams to modernise and serve their front-end applications in a consistent and scalable way. As a member of our team, you will provide teams with domain-specific advice through our help channels.
You will also play a part in owning front-end application templates which allow teams to rapidly spin up front-end applications. We want you to have a passion for the front end community and understand the important role you play in a Platform team.
NB: This role is a backfill role and not a new role. We are considering candidates who want to work in our Auckland, Wellington or Hawke's Bay (Napier) offices, as well as working from anywhere remotely in NZ.
Engineering @ Xero
We believe that a solid technical foundation and strong growth mindset are the keys to success in Software Engineering. So you won’t find a long list of must-have tech requirements below. While you don’t have to have worked with our tech stack previously, what is important is that you have relevant experience that will help you get started quickly, and you are happy to learn as you go.
Life @ Xero
As an engineer at Xero, you’ll be joining us on our mission to be one of the most sustainably excellent software engineering companies in the world! You’ll have exposure to a variety of complex challenges at a global scale, whether it’s linking payments to different global markets, working on our world-renowned third party ecosystem or delivering solutions to small businesses around the world.
What you'll bring with you:
- Awareness (and preferably experience) in these aspects of web development: testing, build tooling, performance, responsive design, security, accessibility, localisation
- Experience building and maintaining complex web applications, preferably in React + Redux
- Confident in upgrading tooling and technology underlying products
- Able to implement resilient software design patterns
- Knowledge of what makes a good API, be it a function, a component, or a web service
What we look for in a Xero Engineer:
- Self-awareness and growth mindset
- Openness to learning from failure
- Honesty, transparency and encouraging of feedback
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Customer and product focus
- Commitment to supporting an inclusive culture and upholding Xero’s values
At Xero you will:
- Join an inclusive cross-functional team and collaborate with Product, Design and Engineering.
- Use the latest engineering and software delivery practices, at scale.
- Support your growth with various training and development resources, including the opportunity to become AWS certified.
- Get involved with the Xero Mentorship Program, our many communities of practice and Employee Resource Groups such as Rainbow X, Parents @ Xero, Neurodiversity @ Xero and many more.
What you'll do:
- Create software - Care deeply about the problems of our internal product teams. Produce and maintain robust, high-quality, and scalable software aligned to Xero’s web standards. Relentlessly automate any manual processes. Contribute to technical solution designs that embrace a quality-first approach. Participate in code reviews.
- Test software - Design and automate testing activities that effectively reveal product quality across a range of risk areas and acceptance criteria. Collaborate with the team and understand their own responsibility for quality.
- Resolve issues - Triage and solve development and production issues, and be able to quickly track down the root cause. Communicate the impact of the problem to stakeholders in terms of business value, helping to set a priority for the resolution. Actively participate in incident responses.
- Front-end custodian - Assist other teams with domain-specific advice and help them deliver beautiful customer experiences quickly and effortlessly.
- Engineering standards & frameworks - Maintain knowledge of Xero’s current and emerging engineering standards and practices. Develop and deploy software that meets Xero's standards.
- Continuous improvement - Maintain knowledge of current and emerging development technologies and methodologies. Develop expertise in one or more programming languages and ecosystem specific technologies.
- Deliver infrastructure in a production environment - Maintain and monitor delivery processes. Ensure all software is running as expected and proactively work to prevent customer facing problems.
- Modern software and delivery practices - Practice agile software development. Occasionally facilitate agile ceremonies. Proactively work to improve team processes.
Lots of great perks, some of which include:
- 28 days of leave each year (annual leave, xtra leave, holiday leave - 3 days over the end of year close-down), plus 10 days of Wellbeing leave and 1 day to volunteer in your community. We also have the option to purchase up to 10 days of Lifestyle leave.
- 26 weeks parental leave payments, Xero 'top-ups' your base salary up to maximum of 100%. Available from your first day.
- Employee Share Plan - own a part of Xero!
- Full subsidised health, life, income protection and trauma insurance for all permanent employees.
- Career Development - grow and develop your skills in exciting and challenging projects using latest tech, training budgets, gain knowledge from world class engineering leaders and peers.
- Great culture and flexible working environment - hybrid and permanent remote options with modern, ergonomic, sit to stand workstations, unwind at weekly Xero socials, fresh fruit, fizzy drinks, barista quality coffee, casual dress and more.
- Check out all the employee benefits, discounts, and perks in one place with our Xero Crew app.
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset.
Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for this role and Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.
Xero is an NZ Immigration Accredited Employer and Rainbow Tick certified too.