Onehouse delivers a universal data lakehouse through a cloud-native managed lakehouse service built on Apache Hudi, which was created by the founding team while they were at Uber. Building on top of this open standard, interoperable, industry-proven technology, Onehouse makes it possible to blend the ease of use of a warehouse with the scale of a data lake by offering a seamless experience for engineers to automate painful data infrastructure buildouts.
We are a team of self-driven, inspired, and seasoned builders that have created large-scale data systems and globally distributed platforms that sit at the heart of some of the largest enterprises out there including Uber, Linkedin, Confluent, Amazon, Azure Databricks and many more. Riding off $33M total funding and a fresh Series A backed by Greylock/Addition, we are growing quickly and looking for rising talent to grow with us and become future leaders of the team. Come help us build the world's best fully managed and self-optimizing data lake platform!
The Community You Will Join
Onehouse is a mission driven company dedicated to democratizing data management by making it universally interoperable. When you join Onehouse, you're joining a team of professionals who are passionate about tackling deeply technical challenges associated with building a 2-sided engineering product. Our engineering team serves as the bridge between the worlds of open source and enterprise: contributing directly to and growing Apache Hudi (already used at scale by large global enterprises like Uber, Amazon, ByteDance etc) and concurrently defining a new industry category - the transactional data lake.
The Data Infrastructure team is the grounding heartbeat to all of this. We live and breathe databases, building cornerstone infrastructure by working under Hudi's hood to solving incredibly complex optimization and systems problems.
The Impact You Will Drive:
- As a foundational member of the Data Infrastructure team, you will productionize the next generation of our data tech stack by building the software and data features that actually process all of the data we ingest.
- Accelerate our open source <> enterprise flywheel by working on the guts of Apache Hudi's transactional engine and optimizing it for diverse Onehouse customer workloads.
- Act as a SME to deepen our teams' expertise on database internals, query engines, storage and/or stream processing.
A Typical Day:
- Design new concurrency control and transactional capabilities that maximize throughput for competing writers.
- Design and implement new indexing schemes, specifically optimized for incremental data processing and analytical query performance.
- Design systems that help scale and streamline metadata and data access from different query/compute engines.
- Solve hard optimization problems to improve the efficiency (increase performance and lower cost) of distributed data processing algorithms over a Kubernetes cluster.
- Leverage data from existing systems to find inefficiencies, and quickly build and validate prototypes.
- Collaborate with other engineers to implement and deploy, safely rollout the optimized solutions in production.
What You Bring to the Table:
- Strong, object-oriented design and coding skills (Java and/or C/C++ preferably on a UNIX or Linux platform).
- Experience with inner workings of distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases.
- You embrace ambiguous/undefined problems with an ability to think abstractly and articulate technical challenges and solutions.
- An ability to prioritize across feature development and tech debt with urgency and speed.
- An ability to solve complex programming/optimization problems.
- An ability to quickly prototype optimization solutions and analyze large/complex data.
- Robust and clear communication skills.
- Nice to haves (but not required):
- Experience working with database systems, Query Engines or Spark codebases.
- Experience in optimization mathematics (linear programming, nonlinear optimization).
- Existing publications of optimizing large-scale data systems in top-tier distributed system conferences.
- PhD degree with 2+ years industry experience in solving and delivering high-impact optimization projects.
How We'll Take Care of You
-Competitive Compensation; the estimated base salary range for this role is $150,000 - $220,000
-Equity Compensation; our success is your success with eligible participation in our company equity plan
-Health & Well-being; we'll invest in your physical and mental well-being with up to 90% health coverage (50% for spouses/dependents) including comprehensive medical, dental & vision benefits
-Financial Future; we'll invest in your financial well-being by making this role eligible to contribute to our company 401(k) or Roth 401(k) retirement plan
-Location; we are a remote-friendly company (internationally distributed across N. America + India), though some roles will be subject to in-person requirements in alignment with the needs of the business
-Generous Time Off; unlimited PTO (mandatory 1 week/year minimum), uncapped sick days and 11 paid company holidays
-Company Camaraderie; Annual company offsites and Quarterly team onsites @Sunnyvale HQ
-Food & Meal Allowance; weekly lunch stipend, in-office snacks/drinks
-Equipment; we'll provide you with the equipment you need to be successful and a one-time $500 stipend for your initial desk setup
-Baby Bonding!; 8 weeks off for parents (birthing, non-birthing, adoptive, foster, child placement, new guardianship) - fully paid so you can focus your energy on your newest addition
Tough & Persevering
We are building our company in a very large, fast-growing but highly competitive space. Life will get tough sometimes. We take hardships in the stride, be positive, focus all energy on the path forward and develop a champion's mindset to overcome odds. Always day one!
Keep Making It Better Always
Rome was not built in a day; If we can get 1% better each day for one year, we'll end up thirty-seven times better. This means being organized, communicating promptly, taking even small tasks seriously, tracking all small ideas, and paying it forward.
Think Big, Act Fast
We have tremendous scope for innovation, but we will still be judged by impact over time. Big, bold ideas still need to be strategized against priorities, broken down, set in rapid motion, measure, refine, repeat. Great execution is what separates promising companies from proven unicorns.
Be Customer Obsessed
Everyone has the responsibility to drive towards the best experience for the customer, be an OSS user or a paid customer. If something is broken, own it, say something, do something; never ignore. Be the change that you want to see in the company.
Optimize for the company, your team, self - in that order. We may fight long and hard in the trenches, take care of your co-workers with empathy. We give more than we take to build the one house, that everyone dreams of being part of.
Pay Range Transparency
Onehouse is committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. Our job titles may span more than one career level. The pay range(s) for this role is listed above and represents the base salary range for non-commissionable roles or on-target earnings for commissionable roles. Actual compensation packages are dependent upon several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to: job-related skills, depth of transferable experience, relevant certifications and training, business needs, market demands and specific work location. Based on the factors above, Onehouse utilizes the full width of the range; the base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. The total compensation package for this position will also include eligibility for equity options and the benefits listed above.