Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
The Data team designs and builds the data assets, pipelines and applications that will enable Xero to bring smart, data-driven, personalized services to millions of customers around the world. As a Data Engineer, you will engineer large and complex data sets, as well as build robust, reusable and optimized data pipelines. You will develop, administer and operate the data pipelines and data enrichment activities on a variety of Data Platform(s) in a reliable and secure manner for the users of the ecosystem.
What you'll do
- Typical activities may include building data pipelines for analytical data usage, data modelling, data integration and implementing Extract/Transform/Load (ETL) processes.
- Build and publish standardized data sets used by the analyst community to answer business questions
- Design, implement and maintain data enrichment pipelines using various data sources and tools
- Provide support to data quality and data validation through analysis of data and assisting in understanding the meaning of data
- Help drive continuous improvements to data quality procedures and a consistent approach to how data quality is measured, monitored and reported.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the Data team. Participate in regular scrums and work with peers to ensure data availability
- Work on the queue for incidents, service requests, enhancements/changes and audits
- Assist team with onboarding new product and applications engineering teams
- Stay up-to-date with emerging trends and technologies in the data engineering and data enrichment space
- Ensure Data Governance standards are incorporated at the implementation level
- Work with Product and Technology teams to understand the types of data collected in various applications, databases and domains
- Input into data enrichment standards and principles.
- Enriched data scheduled and available to users in a timely, secure and reliable manner
- Constant improvement in data availability, timeliness and quality as a result of data enrichment practices
- A displayed understanding of the business and technical requirements, enabling the delivery of quality solutions
What you’ll bring with you
- Good understanding of data modelling and data integration fundamentals, structures, principles and practices and agile methodologies
- Good time management with the ability to multitask, prioritize and deliver to schedule
- Highly motivated and proactive nature, constantly looking at methods for improvement.
- Self-organizing and diligent
- Solution focused and has strong attention to detail
- Experience working with Business Owners and Product Owners to gather data requirements and provide solutions
- Solid practical experience in engineering data for the purpose of data analytics
- Experience in one or more software engineering technologies
- Clear and concise oral & written communication including technical documentation
- Practitioner level skills in - large scale data integration and data management
- Extensive experience with analysis, design, optimization and development of database queries and ETL processes
- Experience with cloud based technologies and databases
- Knowledge of data requirements for ML / AI use cases beneficial
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and we like that. A collaborative and inclusive environment is important to us. Working at Xero will provide you with a diverse and inclusive environment alongside people who will respect, challenge and support you to have fun while you do the best work of your life. We are a place where personal development, innovation, and well-being are not just inspired but celebrated.
We value our people and offer a wide range of compelling benefits and perks, including Xero shares and great parental leave policies. Xero’s collaborative culture is underscored by our values - #Ownership, #Challenge, #Beautiful, #Human and #Team - which empower us to understand and serve customers, attract top talent and continuously innovate. From the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.