Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use cloud based platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and that is core to driving Xero’s mission. Supporting a culture of inclusion is something we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. A part of that is to support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. So, from the moment you begin your journey with Xero, we will constantly strive to ensure you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.
You’ll work in collaboration with your team and other Xeros to help create and deliver beautiful software to our customers, faster. You'll regard engineering teams as your customers, and test, measure and learn how best to provide them value.
You’ll maintain the standard for engineering excellence at Xero and support your team members in building products together. You’ll contribute to our cross functional environment by working towards the same objectives, using modern principles and practices.
You'll help build and manage software that solves engineering problems at scale. You will be enabled to seek clarity with technical complexities and be able to demonstrate smart ways to simplify. You’ll be able to make data-driven decisions that will release value early to solve Xero customers' problems more effectively.
What you'll do
- Be customer-focused; Obsess over customers and directly engage with them; identify customer pain points and solve real customer problems based on observing their struggles and analyzing customer data.
- Be kind; embrace our culture where we encourage diversity in a psychologically safe workplace. Voice your own opinion while considering the opinions of others.
- Be engaged; actively contribute to your team activities, initiatives and technological challenges, while working towards your product roadmaps. Maintain processes and monitoring to drive incremental improvement.
- Be collaborative; work with the team and others to achieve a good outcome using a working style that suits the problem at hand. Take operational responsibility for services, which may include 24x7 on call rotation.
- Be coached; proactively work with your manager on your personal and career development, highlighting any training/development needs and following through with actions agreed.
What you'll bring with you
- Hands-on experience automating infrastructure in a cloud environment, preferably AWS (EC2, S3, SQS, SNS and KMS)
- A customer focused mindset and the ability to directly engage with our PaaS team membersPractical experience with infrastructure-as-code (e.g. Terraform, Cloudformation, Ansible or Chef, etc.)
- Exceptional troubleshooting, monitoring and analytical abilities (AWS EventBridge, New Relic, Sumo logic)
- An understanding of relational database management experience with a preferred emphasis on SQL Server
- Experience in delivering code to production in a commercial environment.
- Ability to work with others and navigate areas of conflict in an open, positive and proactive way.
- Experience of modern product and engineering principles and practices.
- CI/CD pipeline experience - creating, using and maintaining (Teamcity, Octopus Deploy, Atlantis , Jenkins, AWS Codebuild/Codepipeline )
Success looks like
- Contributing to product discovery activities and aligning with the agreed roadmap
- Taking ownership of personal/career development
- Communicating effectively and respectfully giving and receiving feedback
- Displaying empathy and inclusion in interactions with others
- Meeting agreed Service Level Objectives for operational performance
- Ensuring continued improvement in ways of working for efficient delivery
- Providing support and guidance to teams that use our platform services
- Playing an active role within the Communities of Practice in Xero
- Living the vision & values - Keeps Xero’s vision and values at the forefront of decision-making, actions, communication and behaviors.
- Delivery - Has a track record of innovating and delivering technology in a team and solving customer’s problems through software.
- Growth mind-set - Understands that competency is not fixed but is enhanced through dedication and hard work.
- Self-awareness - Has an awareness of EQ and is capable of recognizing one's own emotions and of those around you.
- Balance - Maintains a healthy personal/work-life harmony. Considers the wide range of learning and social opportunities at Xero against the needs of the team.
- Great communication skills - Speaks and writes clearly, succinctly and articulately without relying on jargon.
- Relationship building - Successfully builds trust and credibility with their team, customers and stakeholders.
Xero is an equal opportunity employer
- Xero celebrates diversity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment where our employees can do the best work of their lives. We are committed to transparency and to equal pay for equal work. Total compensation for this role includes a base salary of $105,000 to $120,000, commensurate with experience, plus an annual grant of Xero shares, calculated as a percentage of base salary.
- Xero offers access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (in CA & CO only)
- Xero will match 100% on the first 3% of 401k contributions plus 50% match on next 2% of contributionsEmployees enjoy 21 days of paid time off per year
- Employees have 10 days of wellbeing leave to care for their minds, bodies, and familiesUS employees enjoy 11 paid holidays per year
- Xero offers an industry-leading 26 weeks of parental leave at 100% pay
- Xero offers a number of employee wellness programs, to include yoga, mindfulness and nutrition workshops, EAP, free flu shots, team meals, and a monthly wellbeing allowance
At Xero we embrace diversity and inclusion and value a #challenge mindset. Research has shown that women and underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single competency or experience . If you are excited about this role, but your past experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be just the right person for a role at Xero. If you have any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at time of application and throughout the interview process.